OCR02013 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'How Machines Fly'

Palpable

An older remix of the 'Machine Base' music from level six of Sonic 3. I simply couldn't resist that bass line.

I'm not sure why I sat on this for so long; I may have been worried about sound quality and reverb issues, but I don't remember. Either way, I'm doing some game remixing after a loooonnngg break, and I thought this might be a good knock on the door.

The file can be found at....

For the record, my name is Quinn Fox, the remix is titled, 'How Machines Fly,' and the source material is level six from Sonic 3 on the Sega Genesis.

Liberties were taken, mostly with the electric piano, but it's otherwise rather faithful.

Thanks for your time!

Quinn Fox

www.quinnfox.com

www.quinn.50g.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://ocremix.org/chip/2387 Launch Base Zone 1

Oh man I love that bassline; it gets me groovin'. This is a great laid-back take on the source that still manages to have a lot of energy. Brass stabs are hot. Nice riffs on all the elements of the source in the solo sections.

There might be a little to much reverb, but I guess it contributes to the spacey quality of the soundscape.

Totally diggin' this. Great variation, great groove, great sound. Awesome.

YES

Quinn tends to use preset drumloops, and this is an older piece, so I'm sure if this older piece did the same. But Quinn is definitely the best artist I've heard in the community that can really build around those patterns and make them seem like they were created specifically for that song.

Almost a little too laid back and subdued for my tastes, but this was definitely nice. I thought the reverb created a nice atmosphere, and the interpretation was very solid. Definitely VERY glad to read that Quinn's gonna be doing more arrangements, he does some good work. Now if I can just get him to submit "Snow Tires"...

YES

Really solid groove here. The arrangement is top notch with some good personalization all around. Sometimes it feels like it could be a bit more dynamic but it's minor. The production is also up there but I, like Shariq, thought you could scale back the reverb a little bit. I also thought the balance of the lead compared to the rest of the track was a bit of a downer, it could've been more up front and I think the track would benefit.

I don't have much else to add, this is a solid remix serving with a distinct sonic flavor you just can't resist. Glad to see you back :)

YES

Besides a few points where the bass felt a little too cheesy GM, this was nice stuff. A good flow and a cool take on the source. Production was solid, though I will echo the too much reverb sentiment. Nothing that kills this, by any means, but I think it'd be a little stronger with some elements dried up just a little. Also, that ending was pretty weaksauce. The rest of the track was jammin, so the abrupt ending was a bit of a buzzkill.

Still good by my estimate.

yes