*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog (XB360) 'Dreams of an Absolution [RE//BIRTH MIX]'

Palpable

ReMixer name : StarLyte

Name of game arranged : Sonic The Hedgehog (2006)

Name of individual song arranged : Dreams Of An Absolution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vocals sampled from this remix: Dreams of an Absolution (Nightlight Remix)

This starts out as a pretty fun dance track that ends up losing steam about halfway through. I hear maybe two minutes worth of material looped over a five and a half minute track, which is fine for something in the club, but we're looking for more of a standalone piece here with more development. I'd like to see some more variation in the arrangement. Maybe try switching gears around the middle and break down the beat in some kind of halftime pulse; anything to break the monotony.

Regardless, the take on the source is pretty nice, so you're on the right track there. It's got a sweet pulsing quality with lots of cool dreamy sounds like the softer synths and piano. I think there's something weird going on with your compression though; things start sounding squashed whenever the vocals come in. I think the other joojes are better qualified to address the more technical aspects of the production, so I'll leave it at that.

NO, resub

I love this source. Just sayin. :-)

The midi guitar sounded super gross overall, and though the rhythms it was playing made things more interesting, it really grated on me. Texturally, everything else I was feeling. Things were going along well, but as time went on, it just got more and more samey- and when the acoustic guitar came in on the right side, it sounded like it was playing in a different key. :-(

Arrangement was really similar to the original, but a little less guitar centric, and a little more dancey. I'm not sure it'd be different enough from the original, especially since the original had a lot of interesting cuts and breaks to keep it from getting too plodding, and this arrangement is more straight up.

Production was slightly crowded in some parts, but still above the bar, but the combination of the repetition overdose, the rhythm guitar sample, and that acoustic part being in the seemingly wrong key, I gotta no this one.

Having a more defined breakdown section, and the 2 guitar changes would make me revisit this vote. It's a good track for sure, but it's not quite there.

no, please resub

I love this source. Just sayin. :-)

The midi guitar sounded super gross overall, and though the rhythms it was playing made things more interesting, it really grated on me. Texturally, everything else I was feeling. Things were going along well, but as time went on, it just got more and more samey- and when the acoustic guitar came in on the right side, it sounded like it was playing in a different key. :-(

Arrangement was really similar to the original, but a little less guitar centric, and a little more dancey. I'm not sure it'd be different enough from the original, especially since the original had a lot of interesting cuts and breaks to keep it from getting too plodding, and this arrangement is more straight up.

Production was slightly crowded in some parts, but still above the bar, but the combination of the repetition overdose, the rhythm guitar sample, and that acoustic part being in the seemingly wrong key, I gotta no this one.

Having a more defined breakdown section, and the 2 guitar changes would make me revisit this vote. It's a good track for sure, but it's not quite there.

Yeah, pretty much that (including loving the source), EXCEPT...the production here was really poor. I've heard worse, but "slightly crowded" is too generous. The soundscape is way too muddy and indistinct. The higher frequencies got murdered, so this sounds as if you recorded it off someone's speakers. C'mon, the potential here is too good to waste it with something so lo-fi.

Anyway, I'm not comfortable with the amount of direct audio sampling from the original with the lyrics. It's too much for me to pass it, so even if this were pristinely produced, I couldn't get behind it. That said, the instrumental arrangement was cover-ish, but definitely had a new mood and some good instrumentation changes except that brutally awful FL Slayer-ish guitar. :lol:

The countermelody that came in at 3:28 was a poor choice of instrument, too loud over the lead, and off-key with the melody. Fix that as well as cleaning up the overall mixing/sound balance. Use our Works & ReMixing forums if you need help. But of course take DS & OA's advice on how to realize the potential of the arrangement.

NO