*NO* Xenogears 'A Trace of Tears'

Palpable

Remixers: Tensei-San, DragonAvenger, OA

Real Names: Joren De Bruin, Deia Vengen, Andrew Luers

Game: Xenogears

Song: Star of Tears

Tensei asked me if I was willing to work with him on the Xenogears project around the end of '07. When I heard his track I was blown away from what he'd done to the original. It was the first time that I really felt like I had to step up my game to meet the quality of the track. Sadly Tensei's original guitar solo was lost due to having to change keys on this and the original files being lost, but the change was far better for my range (as it is it's still quite high up there at times). I probably rerecorded this 8 times, doing one final recording this past summer after Otakon to finally get this finished for the project release.

Unfortunately, Tensei had stopped responding to people on the project in terms of having this finished, so I was forced to ask OA to help put on the finishing touches (and awesome guitar solo). Here's what OA has to say:

"I processed DA's vocals and recorded a guitar solo. I love guitars, Xenogears, and also redheads."

Very short at to the point he is.

Thanks for your time!

~Deia

---------------------------------------------------------------

Stars of Tears

Can we get a source breakdown on this? This doesn't sound anything like the original to me. :\

--

Production-wise I have no qualms. It's got a really great spacey-jazz sound. Synthwork is nice, guitar is nice, and there's a good balance.

I'm going to tentatively vote NO. I really don't hear a strong connection to the source here at all. There are bits where DA starts singing which sound like the melody from the source, but then that melody deviates. The harmonic color of the chords has also changed completely. If someone played this song for me without telling me it was a Xenogears mix, I'd never be able to tell, and I listen to this particular source tune a lot.

melodic alterations are in the ()

Your fingertips (mov)ing (gent)ly to my (heart)

(The force of) life goes on and on

(The song re)mains like a (haunt)ing melody

(Of an)gel music held in chains.

And (so) I ask you *[so is not in the original source]

Can we ease the pain of those (who) lost

Can we know the cause of (all this sorrow)

Can we catch the tears of a broken world

Falling down u(pon the) earth, (falling) down. *[the actual entire line is up higher than the original, but the direction of the melody is the same)

The waves of time take me deeper into you

(A haze) as blue as summer skies

(And turn to) find the key (won't) unlock the door *[changed from will not]

(This brok)en bird away it flies.

And (so) I ask you

Can we ease the pain of those (who) lost

Can we know the cause of (all this sorrow)

Can we catch the tears of a broken world

Falling down u(pon the) earth, (falling) down. *[see above]

Interesting adaptation. Not a bad job on the vocals, some of Deia's better work, I'd say :)

Not sure I'm feeling the synthwork as much as Darke. Portamento synth is kind of like using drum loops. It's fine, but I feel like it should rarely be used as a primary, central, and constant element in a track. Especially if the tone doesn't evolve in some way. Not doing so is (to me) like playing virtually any wind instrument at one constant volume with absolutely zero expression/vibrato/dynamic change at all, and that's pretty much how I feel about that lead... Sorry guys :(

Probably my most critical gripe is that the mix is filled with clutter, and I can tell you the biggest cause of that is the piano. Low chords that consist of such close intervals = kind of a mess. Take the chorus at 1:12 for example. The piano is--well, pretty bad I hate to say. Sounds like there's a lot of reverb and sustain on what is already a pretty mechanical piano tone. Don't do that. Reverb is generally something you want to use VERY sparingly on lower registers. Also sounds like the cymbal rolls/swells are mixed a little loud. Kind of makes the sample insertion kind of obvious--that probably could have been a bit quiter with a bit more wetness on the reverb to take away the edge.

On the arrangement end, I would have enjoyed a breakdown, because like Darke, I agree it is kind of hard to hear the black-and-white connection to the original (aside from the lyrics themselves). Remixing lyrical source tunes can tend to be sort of a catch 22, because I do realize on one hand, if you stay absolutely verbatim, you risk staying a little too conservative, and if you deviate by much, we end up where we are now, where it can be hard to hear the original melody at all.

Anyway, good job on the vocals, but mediocre mixing, cluttered instrumentation/arrangement and a fadeout ending, and what seems like possibly a very liberal arrangement = not quite there yet.

Good foundation, I'm not gonna lie, this needs some work yet, but I can definitely see it getting passed if given a little TLC.

REWORK/RESUB

Good foundation, I'm not gonna lie, this needs some work yet, but I can definitely see it getting passed if given a little TLC.

REWORK/RESUB

sorry bro, not gonna happen :-(

"Unfortunately, Tensei had stopped responding to people on the project in terms of having this finished, so I was forced to ask OA to help put on the finishing touches"

besides the vocals and the guitar solo, it's all a single mp3. :/

I didn't hear a lot of source in this either, except for the chorus. With OA's helpful cheat, I can see how the melody line follows the original, but feeling that connection is solid is another thing entirely. Gonna have to say NO on that basis, sorry everyone. Most everything to do with the arrangement is well-done - I liked the singing, the moody production. Even the synth-work had a little bit of movement, it wasn't completely static, and it was backed up by some jazzy chords and bass that drew some attention away from the staticness. Pretty much it's only the source usage I feel uncomfortable about.

NO