*NO* Tyrian 'The Song'

OceansAndrew

Needs a new title and a smaller file size if it passes

Remixer name: Block35

User Id: 30777

Full name: Mihai Protopopescu

Game Arranged: Tyrian

Song Arranged: Tyrian: The Song

Hi! This is my first submission to OverClocked ReMix. Hope my track makes it :)

About the track: It's a remix of the song you hear in the main menu of Tyrian. The original music is done by Alex Brandon.

The Tyrian soundtrack along with the Pinball series music by Olof Gustafsson are my favorite game tunes if not some of my favorite songs in general, not just from video games. I also love House music: fast beats and strong kicks that make you want to dance or at least shake your head up and down as you're speeding on the highway... As an artist or producer that's the mood that I'm trying to achieve.

I just had to put those awesome Tyrian melodies on a House beat. I changed some of the arrangement too, just to fit with the genre and fooled around with the melodies and bass line a bit. This is not an attempt to "improve" the original music. The original song is great and I love the way the sound card's synth has been tweaked to create those awesome out of this world sounds... This is something different altogether, just a club track that draws inspiration from Tyrian.

Hope you guys like it!

source:

Mixed feelings about this. Beat is good, and some parts of the arrangement that mix multiple melodies from the song are interesting. The section starting at 2:11 was my favorite. But there are also several parts where it doesn't sound that melodic or smooth. Some instances include the synth entering at 0:58, which has a background-y attack to it but acts as a lead for a while. In the 1:27 section, the chords don't really match the source melody you've got going there - it just doesn't sound that good to me. The parts get repetitious after a while, possibly because some of the elements are in play for much of the song. I think you tried to use too much of the song too much of the time, and that sums up all my complaints nicely.

Good resubmit candidate though, a lot of good stuff in place.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Overall some strong sections that doesn't quite add up, and I think Vinnie covered part of it by mentioning the sometimes-indistinct leads.

I also think that the builds between sections and transitions are a little weak. A track like this really demands massive builds and breakdowns to keep it interesting, and though there are some, they are like speedbumps when they should be mountains.

There are a few passing tones that don't quite mesh either, maybe that is similar to Vinnie's comment about some backing parts not matching. I'd be good to go over everything again.

Otherwise, it was pretty nice, some familiar sounds used pretty well, it just needs some detail work.

no, resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

Right away the first thing that hit me is how long it takes for a melodic instrument to hit this mix. I'm fine with long intros, but there should be something that's building up to the opening, and that doesn't happen here until almost 30 seconds in.

The entire arrangement overall feels a bit like it's lacking the power and energy that I'm getting from the drums. I think this is related to Vinnie's issue that there are lead instruments that are generally more suited for background motifs, and they can't carry the weight when their up front as well as I'd like. Along with that some of the sections are stretched pretty long, and that further decreases the energy at times. I'd experiment around to see if you can find the right combo to really pull the energy up in some sections.

Going to agree with the gentlemen above about some things not meshing. Check through carefully that your different melodies and chords are matching up better. This will help out with the energy level, too.

You're on the right track here, just need to go that extra to pull this one up more. NO (resubmit)