*NO* Ikaruga 'Polarity Break'

djpretzel

New Remixer!

Name: Metaphist

Remix: Ikaruga PolarityBreak

Comments: It's from the Chapter 5 theme. I went for two different beats to emphasize the "polarity switch" theme that the game revolves around. That sound effect right before the second melody comes in is actually from the game when you switch color. And of course, at the end, the sound effects when you die and must continue.

For the most part I am satisfied with this, and most definately enjoyed making it, but my only regret was my limited Fruityloops sample library. I mean -- they have eveything you need with drumsynth and whatnot, but there are certains sounds that you'd like to find elsewhere, y'know? I want to do more on this game and hopfully my next submission will be even better.

From must-see cities to the best beaches, plan a getaway with the Spring Travel Guide! http://special.msn.com/local/springtravel.armx

• 4 weeks later...
For the most part I am satisfied with this, and most definately enjoyed making it, but my only regret was my limited Fruityloops sample library. I mean -- they have eveything you need with drumsynth and whatnot, but there are certains sounds that you'd like to find elsewhere, y'know?

That's not an excuse for using poor untweaked samples. Read through the FruityLoops 101 thread at our Remixing forum.

This mix has got a couple good things going for it; style and feel. The execution fails. Some of these sounds are awful, like that distorted bass drum/snare, some like the finger snaps are cool, but they're all mostly untweaked and unprocessed. They reek of presets and lack of effort. The string pad does some weird things and ends up off-key (1:18), the bass is rhythmically awkward, and some chord changes (2:32) do not work. This is the mark of amateurish arrangement. Learn to incorporate and custom-fit your own sounds and place them into a more graceful composition.

NO

By the way Wingless, there's a reason why we have an HTTP judge space.

If you can't use the submitter's link, download it from djp's computer.

The concept is definitely there, but the execution is a bit lacking. Like malcos mentioned, the tonal stuff is kinda weak soundwise. FL's 'limited' library is no excuse. I use FL along with external sounds and get fantastic results.

It's a VERY chill beat you've got, with a nice style, but there are some wonky tonality and intonation issues around the end. Perhaps cleaner samples/synth that allow more control over the polyphony would help. Sounds like you're using synths that have preset 5ths or 7ths (etc) in there. It's my experience that writing the harmony explicitly is better than relying on the synth to do so. (I could be wrong about this however; in which case forget I said anything).

Anyway, NO, but pretty strong. I'd say go for a resubmit.

By the way Wingless, there's a reason why we have an HTTP judge space.

If you can't use the submitter's link, download it from djp's computer.

I swear to God. I'm going to kill you. DON'T YOU EVER QUESTION ME IN FRONT OF THE JUDGES. YOU KNOW HOW THEY F'n LOOK UP TO ME!!!!

Nevertheless!

I'm torn with this one. There are some wild ideas being thrown around, some work, others don't, but I enjoy the vast majority of the risks taken. It has a very different "flavor" then what we're used to around here. The drum programming is great (another rarity) and I like the game-over ending homage.

There are parts that irk me, mostly the stuff that's already been pointed out by my constituants. But I'm going to vote yes on the grounds that I'm quite curious as to what others think. That, and America loves an underdog.

lukewarm YES

maybe it's because i'm on Prot's setup, but i thought most of the samples sounded alright.

except the kick, which apparently is suffering from a serious case of ugly.

what bothers me is that this mix has lots and lots of dumbed-down ugly harmonies. the strings play notes long past they are due for a change.

also, there is no dynamic progession. it just kind of sits around wondering where it's supposed to go for awhile then it dies. meh

NO