*NO* Castlevania 2 'Piano Arrangement'

djpretzel

pretty monotonous for a piano mix. i like the section around 1:12. maybe in the past this could pass for a mediocre piano mix on ocr, but these days we really expect a performance. something less woody. dynamics, sustains, more variation in the playing style (not just a lot of 8th notes). break up the monotony.

no

Not bad at all. I have to agree with analoq on this one. This is very mechanical sounding. Piano or solo instrumental mixes are perhaps the hardest to get right and do get the harshest criticism you'll find, for good reason. When the instrument is this exposed it's much easier to pick on it. I think if you included other elements, such as pads or strings, etc. that this could be a more interesting mix.

Good concept, now you just have to get the performance down.

No

As a classically trained pianist (toot your own horn + 2) you gotta expect me to come down like a hammer on piano pieces. And this, dear friends, is no excepetion.

There are some very good elements at work here, but what is most irksome is the fact that there is so much dry air in the mix. If it were a picture, it would have alot of white space that doesn't really add to the picture. Musically, it's deadened air that the ear desperately wants to find something substantive. This could be anything from a tempo change, to added instruments, to more dramatic dynamics. Take your pick.

In other words, there needs be more, says I. Arr.

Right now, it's Suzie Plainandtall. We would like somebody we can think naughty thoughts about when she bends over to pick up a quarter.

NO

Har. Sexism.

• 3 weeks later...