Contact Information

TimReinink1992

Tim Reinink

www.timreinink.tk

Submission Information

Final Fantasy VII

Cid's Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2WYkfGYD8k

I heard the original theme, I liked it, so I made a remix of it...

I hope this one is qualified, because it was a lot of work.

I don't know if I had to give my mix a title, if so? name it: Cid's Dream

Thanks for your time

--------------------------------------------------------------

Cid's Theme

It starts out with a nice soundscape and some cool percussion, but a lot of the sequencing was pretty mechanical, including some weak attacks in both the brass and strings. The brass was further plagued by a static sounding sample that was a bit thin as well.

After the somewhat bombastic opening, the more introspective section worked very well, I thought. It's mainly that the brass and marcato string attacks that don't hold up. The arrangement shifts I like, but it seems like once the differences from the source are established, there isn't much growth, and instead of a progressive track, it just features some cut and pasting.

I think there are some really nice ideas in here, but that brass needs to be addressed, as well as the later stage of the arrangement. This is definitely a good start, so please take the time to polish this up!

no, please resub

There are a lot of really nice ideas in here, and the ethnic percussion really helps add some flavor to this mix. The arrangement of the source works in a lot of aspects, especially in the more retrospective sections. Hitting off of what Andrew said, things get a bit cliché when you go from the big opening, to the quieter section, back to a big section, back to a quieter section, back to a...(you get the point). I think you can achieve a greater sense of emotion if you were to cut out some of those changes. While each big section isn't exactly the same, I think it's similar enough that it feels like we're retreading ground after a while. Each section is nice, but they overlap a bit too much.

I'd like to see you focus more on the production in this. A lot of the instruments don't feel natural the way they are. Take some care to get this a bit more humanized and the emotion will come out a lot more.

Some very pretty moments in here, and overall a nice arrangement. Look over your arrangement and take a look at that sequencing, please! NO (resubmit)

The balancing in the louder sections is off-kilter, with the percussion distractingly in front of everything else and the melody often obscured. It really makes those passages seem less powerful than they should be. I'd love to see the perc pushed back and the melody brought to the front. Agreed with OA/DA on the sequencing.

The interpretation of the source is pretty decent, but the arrangement does start treading water after a while. You didn't touch the whole second half of the source, so you could use that to fill out the arrangement. Promising start here, I'd like to see you revisit it.

NO (resubmit)