OCR02654 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) 'Water Warped' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original Decision: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25690

Remixer names: GSlicer and The Scarborough Joker (collab)

Remix Title: Water Warped

GSlicer Forum User ID: 6482

Name of the Game: Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!

Song Remixed: Water World

Now with 10% more source!

From the intro, we can hear the main melody in the background. At :22, we get some ascending synth, taken from a bit in the source (:06).

At :29, we get the first real lead, playing variations on the main motif. When it's played here, it has a quite different timing to when it's played elsewhere in the track.

At :59, we hear another synth part, this being based on a riff that plays through the source. This starts at :31 in the original.

At 1:09, no explanation needed.

1:29, we hear the first lead again, playing mostly the same melody as at 1:09, but with a different second half.

At 2:11, we hear the same synth part as at :22.

2:28, no explanation need again.

Enjoy!

---------------------------------------

• 3 weeks later...

The original decision essentially said that you had some great stuff going on, but the source just wasn't there. Glad to see that you've really revamped this to include a lot more of the source, and in some creative ways. There were a couple points (:29 most notably) where the source usage isn't that clear, but after a few listens I was able to hone in on them.

While I'm not real crazy about the whole sound clips/wall of static noise thing you've got going on (especially at 1:47), it was a surprisingly smooth transition into and out of it, so props on that. A couple of the source uses are a bit buried among all the other sounds you have going on, I'd like those to pop out just a tad more. Otherwise, the only nitpick I have was that there was panning in two (and only two) sections that I noticed. I could see you using the panning a little more effectively.

You've addressed the issues the other judges had effectively, so this one gets a YES from me.

This track still contains the absolutely ridonkulous effects, but is now something I recognize in regards to source! There are a decent number of melodic liberties taken, but I feel the connection is solid. :D

The flow is good, and it sounds crazy on headphones; some of the stuff you've done really messes with my head, but it all sounds very deliberate and controlled. I'd love to know how you did some of this stuff. Combined with a strong beat and melodic elements, and we've got something that is very quirky and cool.

yes

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...some really impressive psychoacoustic effects and editing. If I heard this in some altered state I might think there was something wrong with my speakers. Or brain.

I really dig it, but I've got to say the ending is really lame. You might have done something similar to the break that occurs around the 2 minute mark.

YES

Yep, hearing the source now, thanks gents. 0:22 didn't sound like much like the original except that they are both ascending synth parts, but there was enough source elsewhere.

There's parts of this where the sound gets a little crushed and whether that is intentional or not, it absolutely fits the song. This song is a trip.

YES