*NO* Kingdom Hearts 'Lost in the Dream'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: cK

Name: Calvin Lieu

Id: 31173

Game: Kingdom Hearts

Song: Dearly Beloved

Song is created with FL studios. My goal was to keep the relaxed feeling of the original and eventually build it into a more up tempo beat. I wanted to keep the melody true to the original song but also incorporate some originality. My favorite part of the song begins at 3:10 where it starts building up to the climax.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kingdom Hearts - "Dearly Beloved"

Doesn't sound bad. The sequencing and (to a lesser extent) tone of the piano sounded mechanical, but the effects gave a lot more body to the sound.

The gated saw first brought in at 1:22 sounded extremely dry and was generically written. The synth work around 1:51 was also very dry not a comfortable pairing with the piano. From 2:18-2:44, the original piano writing ornamenting the source melody wasn't a bad concept, but had an awkward lack of flow and synergy with the source melody. Better stuff at 3:12 when you went into some liberal variation on the source tune theme over the source's chords. Basically after that, it was a lot of the same ideas and textures changing around a bit.

Not a bad concept. The original piano writing could use some tightening up, the synth work needs a lot more creative effects and processing for a sound that's less generic and more complementary to the rest of the track. Also, see what you can do to give some more meat to the drum beats in the background, which sounded pretty flimsy.

The arrangement wasn't the most melodically interpretive, but did do enough overall to stand apart from the original, IMO. As long as you improve the sonic execution here and iron out some of the additive writing so it's a more comfortable fit, you could have a legit chance of getting something passed. Good start on this, Calvin, keep it up!

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

The piano really jumped out at me as an issue. The samples themselves were a bit thin and the excessive reverb only made it distant. When the main melody from Dearly Beloved enters it's a bit better but it's still stiffly sequenced and the reverb is a bit too much. The reverb also made sure the piano took the back seat when the lonely gated saw entered. Panning it hard left and leaving it dry like that makes it unfocused and sudden. It's also much louder than the section after it, giving the track a strange uneven flow.

Arrangement had some nice idea with the added piano melodies but could've done more to move away from the same motif/chords.

Overall this needs more work to make it cohesive and interesting. Work on those sounds, make some proper transitions and make sure it all works together. Keep it up!

NO

• 2 weeks later...

The arrangement has some nice things going on, and I like that there are very few times when you directly quote the source tune verbatim. All the variations are a nice touch. I agree with Larry about some of the original counter-melodies you have. 2:18 is the biggest issue, because you have a piano counter-melody against a piano melody, both of which are sharing the same range. I would look for ways to separate the two so they aren't so cluttered. This is less of an issue at 3:12 because you drop out the melody and let the original stuff play over the chords.

Overall, given that the source is fairly short and repetitive and after a while, despite the variation, things start to feel overdone. I'm a fan of varying things up, so a possibility might be to throw in an original section to break up the source a bit and refresh our ears. Just some food for thought.

A lot of the sounds in this overall feel a bit mechanical. It would do wonders for the song if you could humanize the piano playing and the drums, and add some effects on the synths to give them some energy as well. The drums overall are a bit weak sounding, it would be good to beef them up.

There's a good start here, take a good look at the issues brought up and you can get this one up to speed.

NO (resubmit)