Super Mario Bros. 3 Medley

SailorBusch

Hey there.

I'm searching for a place where one can share their non-professional vg remixes and likewise and I hope, I am not wrong here.

So, I made a medley containing Super Mario Bros. 3 stuff. There mostly aren't any real transitions because initially, I wanted it to sound 'in-game'. However, that's what it turned out:

http://icelink.redio.de/blog/2010/03/super-mario-bros-3-medley/ (simply click the play-button)

Alternatively, you could listen to it on YT (worse quality):

I hope you enjoy and give me some feedback.

Oh MAN this takes me back. :lol:

I really enjoyed this, but as far as the arrangement goes, it's far too liberal. Try to branch out a little, and don't be afraid to stray from the sources a bit.

Also I think that there's too much reverb on the piano in the 'level' part. It really makes the notes bleed together.

Now, don't get me wrong when I say this--it was a very enjoyable track, and I like what you did with the melodies!-- but I think that if you want this track to have a chance on OCR, you're gonna need to have some transitions. It just jumps around from part to part, doesn't flow. . .

But I think you have something here. I wish you luck in getting it posted!

Thank you for your well-considered answer, TheGuitahHeroe.

I really enjoyed this, but as far as the arrangement goes, it's far too liberal. Try to branch out a little, and don't be afraid to stray from the sources a bit.

Okay, so you think I should not make it sound too much like the original.

Also I think that there's too much reverb on the piano in the 'level' part. It really makes the notes bleed together.

Okay, that's really something helpful. I didn't really notice it earlier but now that you mention it - indeed.

Now, don't get me wrong when I say this--it was a very enjoyable track, and I like what you did with the melodies!-- but I think that if you want this track to have a chance on OCR, you're gonna need to have some transitions. It just jumps around from part to part, doesn't flow. . .

But I think you have something here. I wish you luck in getting it posted!

I'm fine with that, I appreciate that you seem to like it. However, I wasn't going to submit it on OCR, I'm aware of the fact that it wouldn't be up to the standards.

TheGuitahHeroe, you're misuing "liberal" :-P Liberal means that the song is too far away from the source tune, the word you're looking for is conservative.

I won't touch on the arrangement since you're not submitting to OCR, but here's a few production pointers - your piano definitely has way too much reverb on it. The section of the song from 1:31 to 1:42 doesn't harmonize well and sounds oddly dissonant. I see what you were trying to do there but I don't think it worked out. Even if you're not working to submit this to OCR, I would at least rewrite that section

It's an interesting take with some good energy at times, though. Nice video, too :smile:

your piano definitely has way too much reverb on it.

I understand that it's too much, but really THAT much? Wonder why I didn't notice myself...

The section of the song from 1:31 to 1:42 doesn't harmonize well and sounds oddly dissonant. I see what you were trying to do there but I don't think it worked out.

Actually, the "little" amount of dissonance is what I wanted. A little bit of flopsy-topsiness (xD), if you know what I mean. So what do you suggest to make it work out? A more obvious way, some really off chords between the harmonic rest?

Or maybe you had the impression that the fictive pianist plays some notes off due to the higher tempo?

It's an interesting take with some good energy at times, though. Nice video, too :smile:

Yay!

I like this, my only criticisms i think have already been said, just that the transitions between the different sections are a bit mechanical and abrupt. I'm also not a fan of the piano glissandos, they're just a bit too clichéd for my liking, if that's the right way of putting it. Maybe you could throw in some of your orginal fills at these parts? Just on a personal preference here, but i'd like to hear the melody shared across other instruments more (a bit like you did at 0:15) to give the piece more interest and variation. Again that's just personal preference though.

Anyway keep up the good work!

I really appreciate that at these forums people seem to really deal with what people post.

[...]the transitions between the different sections are a bit mechanical and abrupt.

You have a point there.

I'm also not a fan of the piano glissandos, they're just a bit too clichéd for my liking, if that's the right way of putting it

Well, at least it's in C-Major (only because the original also is, you know) so the pseudo-glissando is playable on a real piano after all :P

Just on a personal preference here, but i'd like to hear the melody shared across other instruments more (a bit like you did at 0:15) to give the piece more interest and variation.

I fully understand that. The piano really is like taking the whole fun all itself and constantly taking center stage.

Anyway keep up the good work!

:)