*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Robo's Revival'

djpretzel

YO!!!

Let me introduce myself, my name is Francisco Javier Gamiño a.k.a. ::Y@NKO:., I'm mexican and I am 19 years old, I love videogames and music, and that's why I decided to make a remix.

::About my election

If we're talking about great music, the Chrono Trigger Soundtrack can't be beaten, everybody praises it and songs like crono's theme, corridors of time, the ocean palace, etc. are really masterpieces, but something is missing here. Nobody remembers good ol' Robo, his theme is the best of them all, it has a little bit of techno, great beat, the bass, etc. The song is almost perfect, that's why I decided to make a tribute, my way.

::About the remix

The song is divided in 5 parts, each of them explained:

1.- Intro: the first notes played, without percussion and up to here there's not even the slightest hint of robo.

2.- Let's get started!: after the first reverse cymbal crash, the real percussions start, and the song starts getting some rhythm.

3.- Sounds familiar?: suddenly, the melody changes and the original tune starts to reveal itself, as if it wanted us to remember the good ol' times.

4.- Robo's theme: Once we remembered, we can finally continue with Robo.

5.- Nostalgia: The song's climax, going back to where we started, but with more power. It goes like that for a while until it ends with a nice fade out.

::Download

::Misc. Information

Mi email address: yankogaf@yahoo.com.mx

My website: http://yanko.dyndns.org/ [it's still on construction and slow as hell, that's why I created an angelfire account for my submissions]

Well, I really hope you like it, my cousin heard it and recommended me to send it to you guys, I hope it is worthy of OverClocked. If you need more information, don't hesitate to contact me.

thank you

good fight, good night

YO!!

::About my election

If we're talking about great music, the Chrono Trigger Soundtrack can't be beaten, everybody praises it and songs like crono's theme, corridors of time, the ocean palace, etc. are really masterpieces, but something is missing here. Nobody remembers good ol' Robo, his theme is the best of them all, it has a little bit of techno, great beat, the bass, etc. The song is almost perfect, that's why I decided to make a tribute, my way.

::About the remix

The song is divided in 5 parts, each of them explained:

1.- Intro: the first notes played, without percussion and up to here there's not even the slightest hint of robo.

2.- Let's get started!: after the first reverse cymbal crash, the real percussions start, and the song starts getting some rhythm.

3.- Sounds familiar?: suddenly, the melody changes and the original tune starts to reveal itself, as if it wanted us to remember the good ol' times.

4.- Robo's theme: Once we remembered, we can finally continue with Robo.

5.- Nostalgia: The song's climax, going back to where we started, but with more power. It goes like that for a while until it ends with a nice fade out.

Thanks for the play-by-play, "YONKO",

unfortunately, while the groove to this mix is pretty cool, the elp comping, or whatever that is, sounds sweet, it never changes, the remix is repetitive, and on top of that, the harmony is only two bars long, and there are lots of changes missed. just lots of harmony missing.

NO

Man, vig has been stealing all my opinions today.

NO

So basically, this mix is a bit too amature. Theres a great deal of messy notation and off notes. I'm sure someone can justify the off notes with some vague, debatable theory from somewhere. Regardless, it hurts my ears.

I can tell emotion went into this song, but emotion isn't always enough. The basic ideals of what makes good music must be attained before this remix will get anywhere.

That plucked synth instrument really gets old after a while, especially when you've heard the same preset in a hundred different submissions. Here we have an arrangement of progressive layering; instrument 1 on, instrument 2 on, instrument 1 off, instrument 3 on, etc. That's a very lazy way to arrange. The sound is dull without much equalization and production, and barely half of the Robo theme is even used in this mix.

You could probably achieve the same effect by taking a midi of the theme and chopping off the latter half, plugging in some default samples, and turning on layers alternatively. Got a long way to go.

NO

Attempts to radically change harmonies to fit the original melody are difficult. This is a case where the original progression to a relatively simple tune is even MORE simplified, and the interest levels suffers. Aside from the relatively low sample quality, which can actually be utilized to be stylistically "ol' Skool", the overall arrangement is in a word, n00besque.

The different instruments mixing in and out of the groove aren't interesting enough on their own to effectively supplement the melody. Given that the harmony also makes the melody sound questionably different to the point of near-ouch-bad-clashy-dissonance, I can't in good faith give this one the go.

See above posts.

NO

-D