May We Be Contagious - Download my album for free!

AMT

This Is Noise - May We Be Contagious

this_is_noise_album_small.png

badge.png

I've just put the finishing touches on my first album, May We Be Contagious, which is available now as a free download! It's a heavy punk album with synth elements and a variety of influences. You can get it now at www.ThisIsNoiseBand.com or stream it for free on Facebook and Tindeck. Thanks for listening!

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, here we go:

1 - Nice subtle intro until the drums smack me in the face. Then that very Primus-y bass and drums stuff. Not as deliberately complex or weird as their music, but I like it. Some of the vocal levels are too low and, even when I can hear them, it's hard to discern half of whats being screamed/sung. Still, it fits the style you're going for. Nice synth choices, and I like the aggressiveness of the harder parts. Pretty good way to start the album.

2 - Oh, here's a faster punky song! Maybe it's just my headphones, but those drums sound a little weirdly mixed. Man, this style really takes me back to my punk days...it's that brand of punk that's not quite pop, reminiscent of NOFX and Antiflag. And it's short. A little too short but I'll take it.

3 - Back to the more bizarre style like the first song. I'm noticing that your instruments are handled a lot better than the vocals are. That's something you should definitely focus on improving. It's definitely possible to keep the "sound" you're going for while increasing the comprehensibility and quality of the vocals. Again, also might be the headphones I have on right now. The drums, bass, and guitars are all mixed pretty well though and the riffs are cool, though I'm not liking this one as much as others.

4 - slooooooow doooooooooownnnnn. Liking this a lot, as it keeps the album from burning full-steam the whole way through. This is the kind of song played in between songs at a live set, and I'm liking what you did with the guitars in the back. Simple and almost dour song. Let's keep on rolling.

5 - Despite the title making it obvious that noise was an intended thing here, it feels like there's still just a little much for the first part after the bass comes in. Same issues present with the vocals here as previously, but the instruments here are all pretty awesome. I like the clean delayed guitars and the bass, and the drums do a very good job holding things together.

6 - ...interesting start. I can hear the vocals a little better here, probably because it isn't layered as much. Not a bad song, it's got character, but not really blowing me away...at least until a little more than half way through. When the guitar start to take over more I'm getting into it. This song shows a lot of potential for where you can go and grow.

7 - aggressive from the start, I'm not really digging the glitch noises you have on the top layer before the vocals roll in. Cool song besides that and that Primus influence is clear here again. I can hear the vocals better in this song, which is a plus. Good bridge section that reminds me a lot of the Z.O.E. first game theme song. This is my favorite song on your whole release.

8 - Harder rock vibe here. I'm finding it hard to word critiques for this one, but it's quite good! Maybe it's that I'm not really digging the vocal dissonance but that's a personal preference, I think.

9 - and an interesting way to end the album, with a long song that just goes on eventually into silence. I'm oddly reminded of Husker Du with this one. Strong final track.

So, in all, it's something that feels pretty fresh to me, with hints of many different influences scattered throughout the 9 tracks. You show a versatility of songwriting in a good few aggressive styles, so this is a great start. Most importantly, it shows that you're bursting with ideas and that you need to now buckle down and refine them, and their execution.

Definitely a good and interesting listen and you've got my attention for whatever you release next. Keep at it!