*NO* Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney & Perfect Dark 'If All Was Wright in Chicago'

Liontamer

If all was Wright in Chicago

Hey J's,

This is a track I worked on for FBR2009. It was well received, at the time, so I tweaked the EQ a bit & added a stronger bass to give it a more rounded sound for OCR. The sources are from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney's Gumshoe theme (

) and Perfect Dark's Chicago Stealth theme (
).

It's an Electronica style remix with a violin part, designed to be set as the soundtrack for an old 'Noir' film (hence the genre 'Tech-noir'). I've never played any Phoenix Wright games, to be honest, but if I do I'll probably be surprised to find out that Detective Gumshoe isn't anything like the classic detective from the old black-&-white movies I seemed to associate him with. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------

The piano had stiff, mechanical sequencing, plus 0 room ambiance, so it sounded extremely sparse and did nothing to fill the soundscape. The way it didn't mesh with the rest of the song at all stuck out like a sore thumb. Same with the strings; you need to actually give them more body via effects, otherwise the overall texture is just too thin.

Arrangement-wise, I liked the combination of source tunes, but the piano and strings need work, and you need to put more meat on the bones with these sounds to fill out the textures a bit more. Not sure you can get this where it needs to be, but see how far you can take this.

NO (resubmit)

I really like the arrangement, but yeah, the production isn't quite getting the job done. There is very little depth in anything except for the gated synths, and so things just sound flat. Some of the violin sequencing is nice, but there are other parts where the attack is way too slow to work. Frequencywise, the bass needs more low presence, and the beats seemed washed out as well.

I think this would be a great candidate to get fixed up via the WIP forums, as there is a solid arrangement base to this. I think a few improved transitions would strengthen it as well, but right now the real stumbling block is the production. It's not insurmountable though, so give it a shot! :-)

no, please resubmit

Definitely a great start here! I think the ending is a bit odd, the rain comes suddenly and the synth seems unnecessary. Otherwise this does a lot of things right! There is a great foundation here, the groove is very nice. Samples are generally quite good but needs to be handled a bit better, fx and sequencing needs to be a bit improved. I agree with OA that the bass and beats could be a little fatter, more present, but it's a good way there.

Try mixing in some reverb and really making sure everything sits snugly in the mix, add some additional variation to the beats/arrangement and you should be in much better shape.

NO(resubmit)