does the ps1 memory card work for the ps3 slim?

Ascendancy

i was thinking about getting a ps3 and i wanted to know if you could use a ps1 memory card for the ps3. It would be really great so I don't have to restart from scratch.

I know you have to use an adapter to transfer saves for the old ps3 model but I'm not sure if it'll work for the slim.

also if the adapter works for the slim, can anyone recommend me a good one?

thanks in advance.

(the phat ps3 doesn't have memcard slots either)

However if you have either the original 20GB, 60GB or 80GB you can simply pop in this adaptor on the left USB port to give yourself three extra USB Ports as well as a SD/Mem Card reader.

Won't read the old save cards but thought I should mention it for those that still have their old phat models.

Not sure if Nyko or another third party will make a similar product for the slim version.

wait why doesn't it work with the slims

simple hardware shape or is it some weird software reason

I wouldn't know as I don't have a slim to test it on. I want to say it's the hardware shape; dependence on there being enough space for the connection to reach the port.

On the slim it looks much tighter; perhaps too tight for the adaptor to fit properly

The thing is designed to "snap" into the old ones by having small little nubs pop into the vents as it sits connected to the left USB Port. Even includes a small plastic piece which surprisingly is meant for fitting into the older (80gb owner here) models.

the slim still has ps1 compatibility I'm pretty sure (I mean, the PSP has it, so why would they remove it from the PS3 since it's software emulation in the first place?)

also all ps1 games work with old saves (PSN downloaded or not) since you have to "mount" memory card images inside the ps3 itself

although it is actually impossible to get saves from your PS1 memcard to your PSP without having a hacked PSP and an unofficial windows program to dump memcard images with the memcard adapter