Liontamer

Contact Info:

snazzypadgett

Will Padgett

will.padgett@gmail.com

willpadgett.net

Submission Info:

Legend of Zelda series

Overworld, Hyrule Field, Underworld theme, Prelude of Light, Gerudo Fortress, Song of Storms

I'm well aware of the gratuitous amounts of Zelda remixes in this community, and the only excuse I have for presenting another one to the panel is that this piece was written for my high school percussion section to perform. The experience was both lovely and frustrating, as the Gerudo Fortress theme's syncopated rhythm proved too challenging for accurate performance, hahaha. Anyway, two years later, I was inspired to play my sheet music into my DAW and the result is...better than high schoolers :) I am excited to introduce a percussion-exclusive piece to the community, and it will be happy to hear something very familiar in an unorthodox instrumentation. Hey, I've even got sheet music if anyone wants to have it for their own percussion section. All it costs is a tip of the hat to Mr. Kondo himself!

--

-Will

---------------------------------------------------------------

A bunch of stuff

I think some of the production choices were underwhelming, but there were a lot of range/dynamics with the volume. The resonance of the mallet percussion helped make sure this wasn't empty sounding. There were several spots that felt pretty empty and really could have used one more element to fill things out without detracting from the mallet percussion as the focus. 2:35-3:30, for example, felt like nothing much was going on in the back besides some very spartan, bland drum writing. The drum wiriting doesn't have to be super intense and loud, just interesting, like the patterns you had at 3:48. Spice up the percussion writing from 2:25-3:30.

The arrangement was alright for the most part. The transitions were abrupt in a some spots (e.g. 2:25, 2:35), so it felt like there was medleyitis, but I'll live.

The sequencing/execution wasn't the most polished, but it was serviceable and the overall sound was unique compared to anything else I've heard on the panel in my 6 years.

I'd say spice up the bland drums in the middle that I mentioned, and then follow any crits you get from other Js on the production side. This definitely would have made it several years ago, and it's got its charm. I'd love to hear another version of this with some tweaks, but I'm fine if this passed, ultimately. Despite getting some things wrong, there's a lot that's right and refreshing to hear.

Don't be discouraged if this doesn't pass, Will; you have a good future if you keep at this. See what else you can do with this one, and keep 'em coming.

NO (borderline/resubmit)

I generally am feeling this one, and the sound is well treated to sound very natural. I think the volume could be bumped up slightly, as long as the dynamic curve isn't affected at all. It really sounds like it is a live performance in a concert hall.

The arrangement worked pretty well, but as Larry already said, some of the backing drum parts are unexciting. Spice those up! BAM! Also, some of the transitions just weren't there. With all the care that went into the other aspects of the arrangement, the transitions need to be solid, and especially as a medley. There were also a few minor balance issue, like the melody for the gerudo theme was a little buried.

All of this stuff is a bit nitpicky, but it adds up. I think this is a really strong base, and I'd love to hear you polish it up and resub.

no, please resubmit

I agree with Larry and Andrew on both the upping the dynamics and sprucing up some of the drum patterns in sections. I'd like to go further and comment that it seems that the vibraphone is handling the melody(ies) for almost the entire song. I don't see a reason why the other three mallet instruments couldn't take over to add more variety into this. On a similar note (and a bit of a joke), where's the timpani?

Add some more variety into the patterns, and into what we are focusing on, and I think this could be a unique addition to OCR.

NO (resubmit)