*NO* Super Metroid 'Journey of a Dream'

Liontamer

Submission Information:

Name of the remix: Journey of a Dream

Name of the game: Super Metroid

Name of the song: Brinstar Overgrown with Vegetation Area

Your own comments:

This is my first remix on OC-Remix. It's a combination of spacy and ambiental pads mashed up with some breakbeat / arpeggiators. It shows the vasteness of space on one hand and the fast moving you have to do to travell through it on the other hand - Like a horizon.

It sounds like some old Trance tunes of the 90th in combination with a modern drum'n'bass breakbeat. Even if the tempo is only 140bpm. Some artists and songs, that inspirated me where: Brainchild (Symmetry C), Robert Miles (Children), Evol Intent and Spor.

ReMixer name: DJ The Fishhead

email address: TheFishhead@gmx.net

Your website: http://www.myspace.com/fishheadmuzic

Your userid: 31954

--------------------------------------------------------------

Super Metroid - "Brinstar Overgrown with Vegetation Area"

Cool arrangement. The source is skirting really close to 50% though, but overall the song has enough connection to the original for me. Some parts felt really liberal, but things flowed overall, and the second half was utilizing small motifs and the chords. Some J's might be cool with it, some might not; just a heads up.

Production was decent, but slightly overcompressed and could use eq cuts around 250hz and have 50hz and below rolled off. The beats were decent but not mindblowing, except for the glitches at the end, which were excellent and really picked my interest back up when it was starting to wane. Unfortunately, after they came in, I was expecting it to go out with a really big finale, and the ending was interesting, but somewhat anticlimactic. I think a big, powerful ending is the way to go here. Some of the synths and sounds used were really good, but some seemed very plain and thin, and the mid-range pads that were panned in the breakdown section were pretty lifeless. I think upgrading these samples, or adding some extra modulation would keep the song feeling alive.

It's all little things, but over time it adds up. I suggest trying to add some more melodic source in the second half, to make it completely obvious, clean up some of the EQ so it's not being as compressed, and fixing those synths, and we are in business. :-)

No, please resubmit

The beat is really uninspired and repetitive. As far as the bottom end, the reeeal lows, i don't think they should be rolled off necessarily, but I think the sub bass part should be a bit more sparse. The rumbling isn't overpowering incedentally, but it's just too busy. There's too much of it.

I really like when the bridge comes in around 2:00. Nice harmonic structure and textures. I think the arrangement loses focus at times. You've got that hook, you need to use it as such.

I really like this as a start, I just think it needs to be a bit more concise and form-driven, and change up that beat.

NO

I like the start of the piece and the dreamy texture you have going on, it' a good lead in to many different ways you could take this track. There are some good arrangement aspects, like the glitch section Andrew mentioned. I felt that the source was used or alluded to pretty much throughout, which was nice as well.

As Andrew said, it's a lot of the little things that add up here that are the problem. The first thing that stuck out to me was the drums, which at times aren't varied or interesting enough. I feel like the sound of the drums doesn't really match up with the rest at times. On another note, I'm personally not crazy about some of the ambient stuff (despite liking the opening). It feels too over the top to me occasionally, and I'd like it toned down a bit. The low end feels a bit muddy overall and could stand some cleaning up as well.

This one needs some work, but it's got a good start. NO (resubmit)