Contact Information

Remixer Name: da2Dbm

Email: da2dbm@gmail.com

Userid: 20548

Submission Information

Game: Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)

Songs Remixed: Stickerbrush Symphony Source:

Hot-Head Bop Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KR3hE0_6Nk

Donkey Kong Country on the Super Nintendo was the first video game I got to play and I immediately fell in love with the music and atmosphere. Imagine my glee when I received Donkey Kong Country 2 the following Christmas. Being a pirate lover, I was in heaven while playing DKC2. Whenever I hear the music from this series, I can't help but feel happy reminiscing of these childhood memories. This is my attempt to take my two favorite songs from this game and remix them into a nice trip down memory lane. I was always fascinated at how dangerous these levels were, yet the music was so calming. This is my attempt to recapture their essence and share to others my love for these songs.

- Daniel

---------------------------------------------------------------

The overall soundscape was decent, but the production needs some touching up, because there was distortion in several louder areas, including the intro. 1:06-1:25's section seemed too aimless; there was nothing interesting or engaging about it.

Interesting dropoff and transition at 1:52. Not the smoothest, but serviceable. Some gated synth stuff as the lead at 2:14. At 2:20, the percussion was constantly distorting.

Arrangement-wise, I didn't hear anything particularly interpretive as far as how the themes were handled. The meat of the track doesn't have much; we just get some brief flashes of it (e.g. 1:45-1:55), but nothing sustained. The source usage was generally verbatim with the originals; this needs to do more to stand apart from them.

NO

Yeha, that distortion is no good. :-(

The beats added are pretty cool, but they are so reverbed, it really distracts, and then after the transition, it's a totally different kit. I don't quite get the reasoning behind it.

It sounds like you are still getting used to your setup, and show some promise, but need a little more work.

One thing that you have going for you is a great ear for excellent melodies, because your source track selections were sick, and for adding a new paint job to existing parts, but you'll need to go a few steps further. The transitions were pretty weak, and didn't tie the songs together very well, and the ending seemed to be a little bit random as well.

I suggest sticking with the original drum sound throughout the mix, and just tone the reverb down. Adding that to the tightening of the arrangement and making specific choices on sounds and notes to use to help move the track along, and you'll be in good shape. I strongly suggest spending some time hanging out in our WIP forum to get some additional pointers from other remixers to help get things moving. :-)

No

Wow. Totally drenched in reverb. Really gotta tone it down there. You're relying far too much on the reverb to fill up your soundscape; take it all out and there's very little actually going on.

I'd like to hear a fuller arrangement; a lot of what I hear is melodic lines run through preset choppers and arpeggiatiors with a healthy dose of delay effects. The deep-dark-water-effects are a little hokey too, because they're so exposed. Don't rely on those.

Not a bad sound, but needs a lot of work.

NO