Beamdog: new games on demand serivice

The Biznut

A good friend of mine and some ex-Bioware peeps have gotten together to create a new Games on Demand service called Beamdog. I think the most noteworthy titles would be a Painkiller game and a Shutter Island one, but they have plenty of others across several Genres, all at or around the 10$ price range for the time being. I am not sure when it went live, but I know it's very recently.

www.beamdog.com

At first I was wondering why anyone would want to go against Steam (or even the other providers like D2D), but this really seems to be more of a focused thing with unique content. That said, the content doesn't look very interesting at the moment, I guess it has a chance depending on what it gets and who is interested in this stuff.

Overall I'm more curious about what the inspiration and goal behind this was than anything.

Maybe it's kinda like Remix: ThaSauce for games?

lolollololololololol

At first I was wondering why anyone would want to go against Steam (or even the other providers like D2D), but this really seems to be more of a focused thing with unique content. That said, the content doesn't look very interesting at the moment, I guess it has a chance depending on what it gets and who is interested in this stuff.

Overall I'm more curious about what the inspiration and goal behind this was than anything.

You know what, I'll have to ask! I know one of the guys behind it quite well but I'm not 100% sure what their main motivation was behind putting a new service together. That's a good question.

I haven't had much time at all to check it out since beta but I'm glad some of you have, any feedback is good feedback. I know they've gotten some customers but are constantly looking for areas to improve.

Maybe it's kinda like Remix: ThaSauce for games?
If it is, this site's not gonna last too long. (No offense to ThaSauce fans.)

Unless their operating costs are really, really low, I honestly don't see them selling enough of... uh, "Create A Mall"... to turn a profit after distribution/copyright stuff, plus the overhead of a website (which isn't what it used to be, admitted, but is a cost nontheless). Investing in the long tail (and ONLY the long tail) with mostly small license games is a risk I wouldn't take with competitors like Steam and even PopCap in the same market.

...Business major in college; I calls them like I sees them. But what do I know? I don't even have an online store.