Getting an amp + speakers for a laptop

^^^ forum title says all. So I got my midi keyboard, have the DAW and all the software and realize...dur I need hardware =p like loud ass speakers and some form of amp. I want to jam live with my friend's band, but without that hardware, it's impossible.

So anyone know of any semi decent equipment at...lord I don't know what sort of price range I'd have cuz I'm in between jobs right now anyways. It'd be nice if someone could point me in the right direction anyways lol.

For years, I used a set of Dell desktop speakers. Now I've got my TV hooked up to the RCA Stereo. It goes up to 30 but I never take it above 15, if that's any indication. Most people think when you're making music that you HAVE to get some huge high-def set of monitors, but that's not true. Sure, you can grab a nice set of Mackie's, but you'd probably be just as good with an RCA Stereo or loud desktop speakers.

Now if you're talking LIVE like you leave your room and go places and need that kind of amp, I don't know if you need an amp head or if you can just use a cabinet with the laptop? I've honestly never tried that. You can tweak the sound coming from your cab with EQ though, so the several cabs I've tested really didn't make too much of a difference for a live setting in the end. People are gonna say I'm crazy for saying that. But with enough tweaking of settings, you can get a good sound from a lot of cabs. My B-52 at-412 sounds great. :-P

31nNCQRDwRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

that's a pretty decent example there...I didn't know you could use EQ to replace an amp (but isn't that a risk of damaging your speaker if its all super loud and clipping?):|

$400 is a bit of a big one for me...ofc I don't know the average price range for those beasts =p, guess I'll have to actually do some of my own research ;)

that's a pretty decent example there...I didn't know you could use EQ to replace an amp (but isn't that a risk of damaging your speaker if its all super loud and clipping?):|

$400 is a bit of a big one for me...ofc I don't know the average price range for those beasts =p, guess I'll have to actually do some of my own research ;)

My amp head has EQ in it, and I've set it to treble only with full presence... it was incredibly scratchy. It didn't damage the cab. What I meant was that you could do EQ through your DAW or whatever your audio is coming through. I don't know if it will replace an amp, cause like I said, I never tried to hook a cab up to a computer. :-P If you've got a nice interface with good volume boosting, it might work. I would recommend asking at Guitar Center, because they usually have some kind of keyboard hook up there attached to an amp or monitors that is usually quite loud. They'd point you in a better direction. The cabs you need are probably much smaller, and in the shape of monitors. :-)

My amp head has EQ in it, and I've set it to treble only with full presence... it was incredibly scratchy. It didn't damage the cab. What I meant was that you could do EQ through your DAW or whatever your audio is coming through. I don't know if it will replace an amp, cause like I said, I never tried to hook a cab up to a computer. :-P If you've got a nice interface with good volume boosting, it might work. I would recommend asking at Guitar Center, because they usually have some kind of keyboard hook up there attached to an amp or monitors that is usually quite loud. They'd point you in a better direction. The cabs you need are probably much smaller, and in the shape of monitors. :-)

Alright, will-do. Thanks Brandon :)

Pretty bad idea to use a speaker cabinet tuned for guitars if you're wanting to amplify your synths. You need full-range speakers for the best sound. I recommend something like this. Simple 2 channel, dual 8" speaker combo designed for acoustic guitar and vocals.

Thx a lot Sixto - this looks very promising - now to get the funds for that :<

Yeah bass notes from keys would probably wreck a guitar amp in no time.

I might recommend this amp. More watts means more headroom (w00t). I don't have any personal experience with this particular amp, but I do like Behringer (and I have the BXL3000 for my bass).

The weight is 65 lbs or about 29.5 kilos (since you're Canadian), which may or may not be a problem for you. Seeing as how my bass amp weighs about the same as that keys one, and I don't have too much trouble hauling mine around, even though I only weigh about 119 pounds myself, the weight shouldn't be a problem for you.

Yeah bass notes from keys would probably wreck a guitar amp in no time.

I might recommend this amp. More watts means more headroom (w00t). I don't have any personal experience with this particular amp, but I do like Behringer (and I have the BXL3000 for my bass).

The weight is 65 lbs or about 29.5 kilos (since you're Canadian), which may or may not be a problem for you. Seeing as how my bass amp weighs about the same as that keys one, and I don't have too much trouble hauling mine around, even though I only weigh about 119 pounds myself, the weight shouldn't be a problem for you.

I shall look into that as well - fav'd all the links provided insofar. Thanks guys :D

I shall look into that as well - fav'd all the links provided insofar. Thanks guys :D

Tom Lee Music, Moog Audio, and Kelly's Music are probably stores you want to check out if you're in Canada. Tom Lee Music has a few locations in the Vancouver area (though I've been to the Coquitlam store and thought that they were kind of dicks, the downtown one is better).

Tom Lee Music, Moog Audio, and Kelly's Music are probably stores you want to check out if you're in Canada. Tom Lee Music has a few locations in the Vancouver area (though I've been to the Coquitlam store and thought that they were kind of dicks, the downtown one is better).

Yeah they are dicks lol. They also carry crappy VSTs q.q