Age of Empires - Empire's Club 2010

Dear OCRemix,

Yesterday, I was looking for some nice oldschool OST's.

I came across the soundtrack from the first Age of Empires, and the expansion titled Rise of Rome.

Awesome stuff.

So I checked if there were some nice Remixes on Youtube and elsewhere.

But unfortunately, I couldn't find many good ones.

That's why I started working on my own Remix today.

As source, I took 'Song 6' (if anyone knows the actual name, please tell me):

My Remix will not meet OCR's standards, but still I hope people will enjoy it anyway.

The genre is kinda some sort of light Club/Disco/Dance, and it's quite happy too.

Critics are very welcome, but please do understand I'm not aiming for it to be submitted to OCR.

If this thread reminds people of the great OST AoE had, I'm already more than satisfied!

Oh, and here's the Remix:

http://tindeck.com/listen/lpyt

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I have got this song as the ominous "Age of Empires (Rise of Rome) - XMusic6.mid" in my MIDI-Archive: I don't know the name too. You chose very well, because this is my favourite song besides #3 and "Open" (The menu song)!

I like electonic music. I find Techno rather stupid. ^^ It mostly serves people (talk is about listeners) who cannot express their feelings in a more sophisticated way. But even then, this must not apply to the makers of the music; and not to all songs. Because YOU expressed some very important details of the source song very well! I donwloaded the song to underminde this statement with some accurate playtime.

1. Your interpretation of the bell-sound that never changes is a very good one. When the bass synth begins to change, it creates the right and exact feeling the source would want it to have.

2. After 0:40 comes the second detailed instrument. It does it's job right.

3. I find the new asiatic instruments at 1:09 not so well expressed, but it is good enough to recognize it; Although I would set the focus of the melody in another way. But it is your interpretation, and it is legitimate.

4. AND NOW: The very part beginning at 1:23 and building up and down until 2:15 is your masterpiece! Thats the correct expression of the feeling the original created!

5. Last main part and end are standard. Maybe do something special here.

From the performance of the song, one can really deduce and see that you liked AND understood (!) the source. My idea for you would be to change something in the song to make it unnecessary for people to know the source. Maybe at some points more "citing" from the source, to make a closer connection and then to drift away into your interpretation again... Few people know that the guys at Microsoft sometimes made a good job making music. ^^

After all, it is a better remix that some of the crap that goes past the judges. But OCR has another understanding of remixes, and thats legitimate, too. Because they stick to their imagination of remix music solidly and consequently. Thats good. But you are good, too. ^^

Nice man.