Reaper: the very basics? EPISODE 2: THE QUEST FOR SAMPLES

EDIT:

THE QUESTIONS IN THIS OP HAVE BEEN ANSWERED

So, I downloaded this on a lark...

Or rather, I wanted to see how this was compared to the almighty OverClocked Geothermal Core that is FL Studio.

I mean, it looks nice and all... but I don't know how to do jack shit. I mean, ANYTHING.

I want to try it out and see what I can do with it as a DAW, but unlike when I started using FL (where I figured out basic things on my very first try), I've tried using this DAW at least 3 or 4 times and have yet to input a single note.

Considering I was intrigued by Reaper for the fact that like FL it also uses the Piano Roll, this is especially frustrating.

So what I am wondering is if any of you savvy OCR men and women can help me out with the VERY basics of Reaper that seem to be escaping me... These are very easily answered questions, so don't be too mad at me; however, sometimes these things just slip my comprehension.

1.) Even when I used (and use) FL, nothing I do on FL Studio is used with any of the presets that come with it. Because frankly, FL's presets suck dog dick, and no amount of filtering can change that.

My sound library is obviously one that all of you are familiar with: basically a smattering of free VSTs, soundfonts, samples, and whatnot.

What I am wondering is, how do I transfer these VSTs and soundfonts into Reaper's library? Is there a specific folder i copy them into? Do I just drag-n-paste, like I did with FL? Answering this question would be very helpful!

2.) This is embarrassing, but I can't for the fucking life of me get a piano roll to appear. No matter how many times I click "insert-- instrument track" or shit like that, I can't get anything. The "Edit your own Toolbar stuff" is pretty fucking confusing too; I have no clue what is going on, being bombarded with all of these options.

If anyone has an optimal setup for the edit-able tool-bar I can blatantly copy, I'd appreciate that. As well, the main thing is... HOW DO I PUT NOTES INTO REAPER??? HOW DO I GET TO ITS PIANO ROLL!!!?!?

3.) To make anything sound good, you need filters and effects (at least in FL and a bunch of shitty free soundfonts/VSTs). I am wondering, how does one access the panel of similar features in Reaper? I know I'm at a disadvantage testing a new DAW, but i don't wanna go back COMPLETELY to square 1, you know. Though I doubt Reaper's effects if any are a match for the versatility of FL Studio.

It may be my ignorance, or it might be that Reaper is VERY first-time-user-unfriendly. I dunno, though after struggling with this and that pdf Help document, I'm leaning towards the latter.

A NOTE:

To those who'll say "just read a FAQ", I'll politely decline your offer. To tell the truth, reading those FAQs teach me next to nothing, because I never get what I'm supposed to learn out of any of those things. I didn't learn FL by reading a FAQ, what I did was fiddled on my own, as well as (most importantly) I heavily consulted with a very experienced audio-producer who was well-versed in the ways of FL (and can make some really amazing songs to compliment his technical knowledge). I'm not all that ashamed to say that I wheedled and pestered this guy with a shitload of "how to" questions, and because of that I was able to make things that sound half-way decent to even faux-professional (or rather, "amateur"). So I learn the most when actual audio folks tell me what to do, not when some FAQ that doesn't respond to my questions tells me what to do. Sorry for the rant but I wanted to cut the curt replies to a minimum.

I know anyone who is kind enough to answer this is going to have to take a lot of time out of their internet browsing to explain elementary shit, and for that I apologize; I shouldn't really be wasting your time. But I thank you for any and all assistance all the same.

If I find Reaper to be an effective DAW, I may consider switching over to using that as my primary machine (though this perhaps is unlikely). Still I don't think answering these questions should be TOO hard, so even if I ultimately decide against using Reaper primarily, it shouldn't be too much skin off yer balls to tell me how to get the Piano Roll in Reaper, right?

I hope.... : (

On a final note, there is no topic I've searched that covers these broad subjects like this (lol). If I missed one, I'll admit fault and kindly request a locking and appropriate merge. Also, if this is against a forum rule I've overlooked, I apologize and request a locking or advice on how to make the topic work within forum custom.

In the very least, I hope with some intelligent answers, this can be used as a starting point for other folks interested in trying the DAW out but like me, has a hard time figuring this shit out.

It's a bit outdated, but there's a tutorial I wrote on here about getting started with REAPER that might be helpful:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13478

If you have any more questions, just ask.

EDIT: To directly answer your question about the piano roll, add a new track to the project with Ctrl+T or "Insert > New Track", then click "Insert > Add new MIDI item". You can now move this clip around, stretch it, and double click it to edit actual notes.

As for the effects / instruments, once you've added a new track, click the little "FX" icon on it. This will bring up the effect chain window. Instruments and effects are treated as the same thing in REAPER, and the included effects are surprisingly good (Particularly the EQ, compressor, reverb, and delay). You select the format of the plugin on the left side of the pane; VST are where you'll spend most of your time, but check out the "JS" tab for a ton of awesome effects that are included. Not all of them are the best but there are some solid ones in there. Get a synth like Triangle II or Synth1 and some percussion from Kore or Addictive Drums and you're set.

The big difference between REAPER and FL is that the vertical layout of audio and MIDI clips is vital to the sound it makes. Everything you put down pipes its audio / MIDI through the track shown on the left. To turn MIDI into actual sound, you'll need to put an instrument plugin on that channel. If you move the MIDI clip off of that channel, it will no longer produce sound because it's now sending MIDI to a different channel. Look at it like a giant mixing board combined with horizontal Guitar Hero and you'll get the general idea.

So, I downloaded this on a lark...

Or rather, I wanted to see how this was compared to the almighty OverClocked Geothermal Core that is FL Studio.

Just fyi, REAPER is usually considered 'the poor mans Pro Tools'. FL studio is a less conventional DAW that's not really much like anything else, REAPER is very similar to more conventional ones like Pro Tools and Logic etc.