*NO* Resident Evil 3 'Safe Place?'

djpretzel

Technical info

Remixer name: ArseAssassin

Website (has been changed): http://www.mikseri.net/artistit/?id=28953

Name of mix: Safe Place?

Name of game: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Name of song: A Secure Place (save game room music)

About the mix: I'm not gonna lie to you. I know this isn't everybody's cup of tea. I've been told at the WIP-forum that it lacks of progression and is propably too minimalistic to get accepted. I understand where they're coming from and actually agree. I know that atmospheric mixes have never been too popular in OCR and quite possibly never will. What I don't agree about, is lack of progression. There's quite a lot of progression, but the changes are really subtle; you have to pay attention in order to notice them. I'm not gonna tell you if it's a good mix or not, but I'm gonna say that like a lot of classic minimalism songs, it needs to be paid attention to. But I've talked too much already. Oh and one thing: that flute isn't pan flute. It's a shakuhachi. Pan flute would be just cheesy, wouldn't it? :D

i wouldnt say atmopsheric remixes arent popular, there are jsut few artists who do it well. theres CotMM, and...okay so there's only one guy who does it well.

HAHAHA that's great i know the EXACT roland JV patch you used for the bass thing and the flute. its a split patch. dont like the flute. it sounds ridiculous.

i dont htink the reptetiveness is so bad, in the context of the remix. it doesnt repeat, there is subtle change.

anyway, if you're not gonna tell me whether this is a good mix ro not, then i'm not gonna tell you whether i voted yes or not.

so stick that in your oven and cook it. ... (NO)

I pretty much agree with Prot's vote. The vibe here is pretty sweet. If this were a 4 minute mix, I might even YES it, though I'd have to compare with the source.

Some REALLY bad notes from both 2:43-2:45 & 2:50-2:51. Dunno what happened there, but fix 'em please.

While I really do hear the subtle developments here, there needs to be something extra going on to get away from the repetition here. By 4:05, even though there were obvious additions compared to earlier in the tracks, things were still a bit too repetitive with regards to the melody. The repetitveness doesn't bother me so much, except this is a lengthy track and one or two fresh ideas would hook this up. Adding some original note progressions anywhere within this track while not moving away from the great sound you have would serve this well.

This is actually pretty sweet work so far, Tuomas. Though the drumwork is actually fairly weak compared to the power of the lead synth, your sounds are really cool and work very well together, including the shakuhachi. I don't agree with Vig saying that it sounded ridiculous; I felt the combination of sounds was a unique approach.

Despite my first comment up top, I'd prefer to hear just a couple of brief additional ideas in here to replace some of the repetitive stuff rather than cut the length of the track. To be honest, it's tough to make a vote like this when I'm a big fan of a very repetitive track in SkyHigh's "Snow Motion", because a vote like this is similarly subjective with whether I enjoyed the repetitiveness or not, but I feel that that remix worked in its simple construction, whereas this only partially/nearly works. Nonetheless, this is a really cool genre piece that I could see people enjoying. Just a little more substance while retaining this atmosphere would create a sense of more development occuring over the 5+ minutes of the piece, and that's all I need for the YES.

NO (please resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I can hear the subtle variations and developments in this mix, and that's what keeps me listening. It's one of those hypnotic mixes that is the same throughout, and you know it's repetitive, but it still works.

However, not everyone will be able to appreciate that, and so I think a rather long bridge section in the middle would do this a whole lot of good.

NO