New Ambient type rock song(?): Through Celestial Oceans

jabond23

Yeah, its kinda hard to describe. I suppose its some kinda ambient rock song. Its very soothing. I suppose it like such bands as Ayreon, Pagan's Mind, Sonata Arctica, and the like, then you'll like this song. Its a nice, slow, enjoyable song for the most part. The middle gets a little heavy with the solos and such. ;)

It starts off with a very nice calm and almost floating melody. By which i mean its kinda like floating through space or in an underwater city looking out a window and wondering. Then continues on for a while slowly building up the interlude/solo section of the song. Finally it finishes off on a slow and quieting decent. :D

stats.png

I'm hoping you guys like it. :D

I like it! It certainly is long!

The bass sound is quite annoying though I found.

I expected the rockin' to come in a lot earlier but it didn't, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. The solo sounded super sweet, but it's a shame about some of the other sounds like the MIDI bass and the rhythm guitar? If that solo was live, was it live? Well if the solo was live you could do the rhythm guitar live as well, it would just sound a whole lot better!

Yeah this is certainly a song with a lot in it and it goes places! But it does sound very MIDI. I love the return at the end with the "rockingness" fading out over the e.piano/strings etc. but the guitars fade unnaturally quickly, i'd leave them going on for a bit longer. And it was a nice return to the ROCKIN but it didn't have as much impact as I wanted.

It seems like you ended it twice!

I would maybe suggest condensing this down a little, even though it certainly is epic it just may cause people to get a little lost.

Oh gee, I'm a fan though! Keep it up.

And you don't have to make any of these changes, most of them are really little things and mostly personal. :)

Yeah, i wish i had an actual bass guitar to record the bass parts. OH WELL! I do eventually plan on buying one, but you know how that goes. The reason this was even made into a full song is because of the intro. I was just messing around and we thought it had some potential. ALL of the guitar you hear in this song are live. Clean, rhythm, and all solos. I'm glad you enjoyed the rockin parts though! The whole point, obviously was to have a slow, but, very enjoyable buildup throughout the song. I really only wanted to write a much shorter song involving the intro.

Also, if you do like this stuff, visit my reverbnation page cause i've got my last original album up on there. Its a little more rockin so i think you'll enjoy it more. :D There's a link to it in my sig.

oh cool!

I have not got particularly good headphones on, oh they're SO clean (Not clean as in clean/distorted, just really tight sort of... hard to explain), I thought they were midi! Is it plugged in to your computer or are you putting a mic up to an amp?

Perhaps add a bit of reverb to make it sound a bit more real?

Mmm, I'll have a little listen to the link in your sig!

• 2 weeks later...

Man this track is great!! Clean and rocking! I like it! But drums sounds too "midish" to me and to many reverb all over the track. You should make it not so long and big I think(hope you understand)

But this is only my opinion. And one thing.. Some kind of trumpet or something( don't know what is it) before rocking starts, sounds some kind wrong. But still I like this changing from calm to rock. Great!!

I like it! I think this version is much improved. Though it's been a while since listening to the last version this exceeds my memories. Though some of the guitars are ever so slightly out of time in places. It's not a huge issue though. The choir sounds do sound distinctly MIDI in comparison to the rest of the track at times - it's mostly in the upper register where it sounds a little more fake. Also when it has the melody in the middle somewhere, you could layer a synth or something to play along with it.

I like the kind of brassy/strings breakdown in the middle, it really slows down the pace.

Again the solo/other guitars sound great at the rock out section. I like the half-time choir section but where the choir or it might be string play a quickly moving high part it sounds a little MIDIish towards the end of that section.

It's nice how it comes back to the relaxedness of the intro.

After that relaxedness it feels like a bit of an anti-climax when it comes back into it with the guitars, perhaps add more instruments there. I know it's kind of another build up but it comes in with the guitars all of a sudden so you think OH WE'RE BACK IN but it kinda sounds a bit weak there to me.

I think the distorted guitar chord towards the end fades out too quickly as it transitions into the ending.

Also the very ending with the two notes sounds quite unresolved. It sounds as thought you just copied and pasted like the intro. perhaps have that leading to a final chord or... it's just the final two notes in the piano seem to be leading somewhere then it just stopped. At least to me it does.

Hope this helps!