Sacredfire059

Alex *REMOVED* [i'd prefer you not reveal my last name]

sacredfire059@yahoo.com

http://soniccentral.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Song Info:

Sonic the Hedgehog 1

Sky Base Zone Act 1

The Game Gear version of Sonic 1.

I've always really liked this song. I know this most likely isn't gonna get in on the first try but I'm submitting it for criticism. I used all FL9 Core instruments on purpose; it was originally for a challenge on the Newgrounds.com Audio forums. But I figure if I can polish it, I think I'd die if I eventually got something on OCRemix. Thanks for your time!

source:

Cool source selection, catchy and well written - Yuzo Koshiro is the man! \m/

The production was decent but not blowing me away. There are no real issues with it, and the balance is good, but the sounds used, and the transitions and effects are very vanilla. You gotz to spice it up! :-)

The arrangement was also really basic, and stuck too much to the source. There were some sections where the beat dropped out, and there were some breakdowns and minor alterations, but for the most part, it was repetitive and very very close to the original.

You'll want to check out the WIP threads with this, and work specifically with expanding and interpreting the source. I think the production is fine as a baseline, but you'll need to take a few risks to get listeners' attention.

Keep at it, this is a decent foundation. :-)

No, please resubmit

I like the adaption into a more techno/trance feel, it is a good style jump from the source. Right now I feel like while there is some arrangement done, it still feels very close to the source, and I feel like I heard almost the same arrangement run through two times, then a third slightly different arrangement. There needs to be more done to this that makes it unique and different.

The production overall isn't too bad, especially considering you are using just presets. It does feel a little generic given that you only have a limited choice of synths, but I give you props on the challenge of sticking with just what you have there. I'd work on giving the bass drum a little more oomph so it can help drive the piece a little more.

I think that you've got a good start here to a mix, but right now there needs to be more done arrangement-wise to really add your own original flavor for it to be accepted here. Check out the WIP forums to get some more feedback on ways to improve.

NO

It's cool that you went with all presets for the challenge, but now that that's over, I don't think it'd kill you do put some more original sounds in there. Up to you.

I assume that the dissonances in the synth pattern at 0:25-0:32, 1:00-1:08, 1:32-1:40, 1:50-1:58, and again at 2:08-2:16 were intentional? I dunno if they quite work... :/ Just sounds off to me, especially when the pattern is repeated so many times. Production is fine overall, but the arrangement needs some serious love. So far, the structure never really changes; we just hear slight variations on the same idea over and over again. Gotta let your mind wander and think of where to take it!

I'd also think about layering in some more instruments, even if just subtle pads and touches, because the soundscape is a little sparse. But hey, it's all a learning experience, and this could be the beginning of a fun journey for you. Just try to use the WIP forums for now, because you'll get feedback much quicker that way! ^_^

NO