Pendulum-style (Rock/DnB fusion) drum production?

Tensei

I've been looking into emulating the style of Pendulum (doubt anyone here DOESN'T know them), or at least put a bit more DnB in my Rock, so to speak.

Composition-wise there's no problem for me, and I have the means and know-how to do the guitars/synth lead/reese-bass, but the drum production feels overwhelming.

From what I gathered, DnB drums generally consist of heavily processed samples and sliced beats. I'd love to hear some suggestions on what sample packs to look into, as well general pointers on production/beat slicing, etc.

My DAW is FL Studio 8, thanks in advance.

The drums aren't that hard - just cycle/blend through several stacked breakbeats.

in my experience that leads to a very cluttered, messy sound.

I think you need to select samples very carefully to fit "what you hear" in your head - not just throw breakbeat over breakbeat.

my process goes something like this when deciding how to approach drums:

(for the snare)

-WHY do I want the snare to sound like that? musically speaking or otherwise

to achieve that goal;

-does it need to be pitched or just a 'thump'?

-if pitched, do I want it to sound natural or resampled?

-what about the attacks/releases - do I want them to be so dry you could pick the drums apart with a comb or slightly blended together for a more rockish feel?

-what else is going on in the mix? how much space can the snare actually take up?

-distortion, eq, multi-layered snare/clap/hihat?

-how does the snare 'play' with the kick? do they sound together often or almost always separately?

and on and on and on for all the important elements in the loop...

yes, it's a pain, but the difference between a drumloop I just throw together and one that I pick apart is quite vast.

listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD3FfGeM2sw&feature=related

and then this:

tell me which one had more time invested in it...?

love your drums and they will love you

The Pendulum drum sound is pretty hard to achieve, actually. It takes a lot of fine-tuning your samples so you have the perfect layer. It's less about combining breakbeats and more about exquisitely-crafted oneshots. EQ, compression and saturation will help round things out. Unfortunately, there's no other magic formula. Generally, older, vinyl-type kicks and snares will be a far better base than new, ringy rock drums.