Is there a Fruity Loops expert in the house?

Sehn

I'm just getting back into remixing after ten years, and while I made a very basic mix in another program with limited options, it doesn't allow me to add tracks or do anything fancy. I've so far spent three days messing around on Fruity Loops with nothing to show for it, with the help of three friends. I have several ideas pretty much complete on paper at this point.

So here's the story.

I load a MIDI into FL. I want to add something into the background. I know where to go to add a channel, but nothing I pick there gives me what I want. I want a channel exactly like my current three, where I can edit the notes and the instruments via the "patch" section on piano roll. Nothing I add or clone will let me have the patch option.

What's the magic incantation?

(A simpler alternative to FL would also be much appreciated!)

It would really help to know which program you were working with if you want an interface similar to the one you were using.

I'm having difficulty understanding what you'd like. Each channel has its own interface depending on the type of plugin.

After re-reading the question I'm thinking you want another midi channel. Try going to the menu under channel>add one>Midi Out

See if that's what you're looking for. I'd recommend you stick with FL and learn it, if you're frustrated already you may just need more patience. FL is easy-ish to learn so long as you learn where to look.

(A simpler alternative to FL would also be much appreciated!)
You're gonna have a hard time finding one, because a lot of people online say FL's bad because it's too simple... :lmassoff: (which is very untrue, btw, but don't give up on FL Studio because you don't find it simple enough. Nothing is ever simple at first.)

And yes, you're looking for the MIDI Out channel.

You're gonna have a hard time finding one, because a lot of people online say FL's bad because it's too simple...

weird, the negative opinions i read mostly state that it's too cluttered and convoluted, as in bloatware.

people who claim it's too simple probably have a warezed copy of FL 3 on their hd.

OP, do you just want to use the general midi sounds? there's other potentially better stuff available in FL, you know ;)