Palpable

Your ReMixer name - Anti Syne

Your real name- Jack Lewis

Your email address- jack_lewis13@hotmail.com

Your userid - 31863

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged - Final Fantasy VIII

Name of individual song(s) arranged - Movin, Liberi Fatali

Link to the original soundtrack - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9PcnZKmyxs , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eSrBMsIw3s

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

Other remixes of this pieceIi had heard mostly seemed to be orchestrated, so i wanted to try something new in making in a fully electronic distortion piece, putting it in my own style. I decided to put in part of the melody and vocals of Liberi Fatali as a reference to the orginal soundtrack, as multiple songs in the OST feature this melody and vocal line, I wanted to keep in the musical themes of FFVIII and I believe this was the best way for me of doing this.

I'm a big fan of FM synthesis as i like the warm, modulating textures they can create, also I wanted the percussion to be prominant in this mix to drive the piece forward, and as a drummer myself it is what i know best.

Hope you like it,

Jack Lewis

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Movin', Liberi Fatali

I liked the idea you were going for here, but unfortunately I think this comes up short. In terms of arrangement, it takes over a minute before I heard anything really relating to the source. It was just too long for the song to establish, and I would cut that roughly in half. The source comes in with two runs of the A section, then there is a bridge to Liberi Fatali. Honestly I wasn't feeling the entire LF section; I felt there were some notes that weren't sitting right harmonically. After that section is back to Movin' which is pretty close to how it was introduced. Now is your chance to really do some fun stuff with the melody or add some cool things, I'd love to see you take advantage of that for the second time. The ending is abrupt, but it does it's job.

I was totally expecting some awesome percussion when you mentioned that you play drums, and I thought they sounded good, but i'd like less loops and more of your own programmed ideas. You can use them to really bring the track more alive.

The entire song sits way low throughout. I would like to hear more (and there was some which was nice) high end stuff, maybe some counter melodies, or other harmonies up there. Along with it being low, the processing to make the gritty sound is also making everything indistinct, which is overall hurting the track in my opinion. It feels very unclear throughout. You've got to strike a balance between the two.

I suggest hitting the WIP forums for some ideas on how to add to this track and bring some balance and new ideas. You've got a good idea here, but it needs some work before it's going to shine.

NO (resubmit)

A nice approach, I must admit. However this track fell short in a few areas. The arrangement takes a while until it reaches any source usage. When it gets there it's rather a simplification of "Movin'" than an arrangement, you could've taken a LOT more liberties here. The "Liberi Fatali" part was pretty cool but again it was lacking a lot in interpretation. Nice start manipulating those voice samples though!

The production is a bit problematic. You took a bold approach and I salute you for that but the sounds (even though they're interesting) sound quite flat and doesn't really fill up the frequencies. Adding some additional instruments (pads, something not distorted, different modulation etc.) can definitely help in that area and add some needed variation/counterpoint.

Overall you need some more interpratation and variation. Polish up that and fiddle a bit the production and you'll be in much better shape! This is a really cool track though so I look forward to hear how you develop it further.

NO(resubmit)

I'm in agreement. I actually like the approach but I think some of your instrument choices could have been better. I like the percussion sounds but some of the synths seem really vanilla, especially that lead. Something like this, the sounds need to morph more, otherwise they end up sounding static.

Not a fan of direct sampling the FF8 vocals either, especially when they haven't been processed and manipulated enough. There's a little bit there in the tail end, but most of it still sounds lifted out of the original.

I think with something like this, the sound needs to be bigger. Try playing with some stereo separation to give it some space.

This reminds me a lot of something Mazedude might make, so you're on the right track, but I still think it needs a little push in terms of sound design.

NO, resub