ReMixer name: Shoe

E-mail: alcyone_t@yahoo.com

ReMix Info

Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

Song Title: "Walk in Crystal Forest"

Original Song Title: "Forest"

System: Nintendo 64

Composer: Jun Ishikawa & Hirokazu Ando

Comments: This is my first "real" remix, I suppose, since other songs I have covered were done out of boredom and I've not finished any before now. Lack of decent sound samples had me recording most of the samples from my own synth (i.e. piano, music box). Though I'm none too happy with the sound of the birds, and I'm a little nervous as to what the judges will have to say about this since I didn't realize until after I had 1) finished the song and 2) thoroughly browsed the remixes that there is also another song in the database that has a similar intro. However, I'll allow the judges to do their dirty work and even if my remix doesn't make it onto OCR, I guess I won't let that hurt my feelings. ;) Just kidding. Comments and criticism is very well appreciated; anything and everything that you have to say about this will definitely be taken into consideration if I decide to redo this piece. Also, I'm a little concerned with how loud the song came out and since I'm not exactly savvy with these editing programs, if this gets accepted, would it be all right if someone either made it a little quieter or maybe told me how to do that with Adobe Audition? Thanks for your time.

the sounds are haunting, but there are lots of technical issues, and some arrangement problems.

the strings come in way too loud. there is serious clipping around 1:15.

there are occasional bad notes (1:33, 2:06) and i wish the strings wouldnt jump around so much, and i wish they didnt exclusively play whole-notes.

on top of that, it repeats without really building.

NO

O snap, birdcussion get da YES!

Holy shit is this mastered loudly. Nah, this is way too loud, so scale everything down please.

2:04 & 2:10 had some serious sour notes. Fix 'em or die. :-D

I thought the sounds/atmosphere were awesome, but this was indeed repetitive as anything. No excuse for not presenting some additional ideas to provide some development. I heard a couple of subtractions done, like getting rid of the ambiance at 1:58, but that's not enough. Also think about some more variation on the tambourine in particular since that was fairly prominent-sounding as a support instrument.

Don't get lazy with this one and really flesh out some more ideas for rearrangement. Provided this isn't a rip/cover, this is a cool start certainly. Keep at it, Li.

NO

this gets a yes for the birdcussion.

Yea, I have a softspot for birdies.

Oh wait.. this song is simple and repetitive. Percussion is rather simple and boring. More importantly, it doesn't use the birds as percussion elements, which really ticks me off. I mean, you really had my hopes up. Just not cool.

NO

Go for more of a rearrangement, and get better at percussion and variation

This is nice. I would tone down the reverb a bit. I know what you're going for and it definitely does work. This very much sounds like music in forest scenes in games.

I agree with the ify notes Vigilante mentioned. One of the main problems here is all the clipping. It clips often, and throughout the mix. I am willing to overlook a few instances, but this is not acceptable.

I had no issues with the repetition and lack of build, it's perfectly valid for this kind of mix. But there's too many problems here as it is, to let it pass. Resubmission after working on the issues is recommended.

NO