ReMixer name: HALO_ZERO

Email address: walton.cody@gmail.com

OCR forum user id: 25433

Name of game(s) arranged:

Batman (NES, 1989)

Name of individual song(s) arranged:

Level 1-1.

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(Nintendo_Entertainment_System)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/data/587117.html

Composer: Nobuyuki Kun, Kodaka San

1989, NES

Your own comments about the mix:

While flipping though cable channels one day happened to land on one of the early 20th century Zorro films. It got me thinking about the similarities and connection between Zorro and Batman. This of course reminded me of my favorite Batman game, the 1989 Sunsoft NES version, which had great music. And so the idea for a Latin Batman OCRemix was born.

I'm not gonna lie to you Marge, I made liberal use of Apple GarageBand loops for this track. I felt it was more important to capture the correct atmosphere than to create original performance. I'm afraid my skills as a musician just wouldn't have been up to the task. But in the end I'm happy with the combination of loops and midi.

Hope you enjoy it!

Cody Walton

HALO_ZERO

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I really like the idea you have behind this. I think the melody works pretty well in a Latin feel. I especially like when the melody first comes in. There are a few issues arrangement-wise that I think need to be addressed. My main issue is the guitar solo at 1:32, which is pretty much close to the source, but I think doesn't quite fit what's going on in this arrangement. I would lean towards altering it to better fit the style and give yourself a little more creative freedom. The main source riff seems to get used a lot as well, and starts to wear a little thin after a while. Some melodic variation would help that.

The big stuff is in the production. The instruments aren't the greatest sounds, but for the most part they are used well. I'd say the beginning sounds a little thin overall, and it wouldn't hurt to have a little more filling up the soundscape. The wind instruments overall are set wayyy back. They sound like they are 100 feet away from the guitar, bass, piano, and drums. They need a little more presence, especially when they are holding the source melody (~2:20). They do a lot of background work, but they still need some presence to help bring the track to life, especially if the trumpets are ripping that high.

I think you're on the right track here, just needs some fix-ups. NO (resubmit)

Certainly an interesting approach to the source; you've got the feel down.

Guitar sounds painfully mechanical, especially during that solo section. Not feeling it.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there are some very weird harmonic things going on in this piece. There are certain points where the notes in your guitar don't really lock in with your chords, and it feels out of place. I understand that you're trying to stick to the source, but sometimes you need to adapt the melody by a half-step or two in order for things to fit in properly with your chords.

Not a bad approach, but it needs some work.

NO

I like the intro and the general concept, but once the guitar comes in, the cracks start to show. It's too mechanical to really serve as the lead in this, especially when it gets highlighted, and if you could get someone to play it, that would drastically improve this song. This is also kind of loop-y, and I would have liked some more dramatic breaks in the percussion. The horn lines were great though, definitely a highlight of the song, loop or not.

The bridge was a little weird harmonically, as you kept the chords of the A-section, but played the melody of the B-section. It wasn't awful, but that was a missed opportunity for the song to do something different. Instead, the bass and drums kept looping.

I think we've pointed out a couple areas you can tighten this up. Concept is good, work on the execution, Cody.

NO (resubmit)