Cory Wanderlich

Blackclienterra@aim.com

(no website)

Radeitsu

SUBMISSION INFO

Kingdom Hearts 2

Scherzo Di Notte

Composer: Yoko Shimomura

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZiVsSxY7k0 (original track from game)

Me and my friend (who will be posting his version on here too) decided to have a remixing competition.

We plan on having more competitions with different songs from different games.

when i made this i wanted to take the song to a whole different level. me and my friend we able to make it

any genre we wanted, im actually expecting them to sound quite alike lol. we wont be hearing eachother remixes till his is done too (he has till 7:30 tonight)

We also want people to judge whose is better (hence "competition" lol) so be honest and brutal.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZiVsSxY7k0 - "Scherzo Di Notte"

This didn't sound awful overall, but something was absolutely jacked up with the treble. The highs from the cymbals practically sounded like they're clipping the entire time. Why were they mixed so loudly?

The sequenced brass and piano also didn't sound great either; not even close to terrible, just somewhat exposed as not being realistic enough due to the sequencing being too rigid.

What instruments got added in at 1:54 that created that buzzy effect? Whatever it was was a good idea in principle to vary the instrumental textures, but the mixing was off again.

Not a bad arrangement. The clear goal was to go for textural/instrumental variations of the source tune, and the overall approach wasn't bad. However, after you get past around 1:10, you're basically hearing the same couple of leads trading off every few seconds and the overall sound started getting stale. Also, the production approaches brutality. Hopefully the other Js will have some specific recommendations on how to improve the mixing/balance here so this doesn't sound so messed up.

This is a good base, Cory, so hopefully you're willing to revisit this piece if you're still interested. You might very well be able to take it to the next level with some additional work. Good source tune choice.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Right now the track feels like it's going full-kilt the entire song. It seems almost like every single instrument is fighting to be heard over everything else. The levels overall are just way too high. Bring everything down to start, and then start messing around with your levels to get this balanced better. Larry is also right that you could do some work with the instruments to add some humanization to add more emotion and feeling to this. Production is definitely the main issue of this track.

I will say that there are some good ideas here, but the track also gets pretty repetitive after a while. You are going through the source melody (which does repeat a lot itself) enough times that I would suggest doing some experimentation with the melody to add some variety in there. The changes of instruments are nice, but I think you could do more than just that.

Production is the big step, at least get that looked at first before resubmitting, and I would like to see a little more arrangement as well. You've got a good start, keep working on this.

NO (resubmit)

ok, seriously, SIIICKK arrangement. :o

The main issues that push this into NO territory are the mixing, and over-reverb of most of the instruments, especially the low strings, which bleed over everything else. That synth guitar has got to be replaced too.

I don't think the track is too repetitive from an arrangement standpoint, but part of the reason it sounds so, is that the reverb is swirling the individual parts together so much.

The breakdown with the harp and drums was ridiculously awesome. My hand sloooowly formed itself into some metal horns and I was kindof headbanging. Took me a second to even notice. Nice work. XD

So overall, amazing arrangement, excellent drum writing, but production issues, and a few weaker samples, like that guitar. Maybe you could get a real guitarist to help you out? Some powerful chugs doubling the strings in the harp section would possibly kill people from the awesomeness. Hell i'd even consider rocking guitars for something like this. :-)

No, please resubmit