*NO* Super Mario Bros. 'A Fugue for a Plumber Since Passed'

Liontamer

Remixer name: The Smitchens

Secret Identity: It's a secret to everybody.

UserID #: 37826

Game: Super Mario Bros.

Song: Death

Title: A Fugue for a Plumber Since Passed

Afterthoughts: I've wanted to submit something to OCRemix for a very long time now, but never quite got around to it until one faithful day where I heard a theme in my head while I was standing around at work, just sorta looking around. It was the theme that plays when you die in Super Mario Bros. And I thought to myself, "I bet I could make a fugue out of that." So I did. I present to you "A Fugue for a Plumber Since Passed".

------------------------------------------------------------

http://ocremix.org/chip/2098 - Track 8

Honestly, this isn't bad, but it sounded so stiff and mechanical that there's no way I could pass it. Compared to a live fugue, the differences are immense:

. That's not to say the standard is playing it live :lol:, but you need more humanity in the "performance."

I appreciated how you changed the notes of the original jingle around with the various instances of the "Player Down" theme, but, even then, I thought the well basically ran dry on the variations you came up with. Playing the jingle variations in the same tempo most of the time didn't help. The tempo changes that were there didn't really incorporate the source theme; not that that was necessary, but it would have broken up the monotony of how the theme was used throughout the rest of the piece.

Dhsu's shown in the past that you can take a jingle (in his case, from Castlevania) and really expand upon it with much more creative variations, compared to what was here. This is a great concept, but the overly mechanical feel, weak dynamics and stylistic repetition made it a NO-go.

Larry hit everything I was going to say and more. The idea holds some promise, and it is really an interesting take, but the lack of humanization in the mix is really bringing it down. Along with that, while there is some expansion in the theme by making it a fugue, there actually wasn't too much expansion on the actual 10-note jingle which is played the same rhythmically and at the same tempo every time as well. Right now this isn't really cutting it as is, but it's a fun idea!

NO

well, the good news is that the dynamics of the harpsichord are pretty accurate here, aka none, but the playing is just so "on", that it sounds way too robotic, and as mentioned, the motif is played the same each time; this is a really cool concept, and i think you have the arrangement chops to make it work, but it'll need another revision.

no, please resubmit