*NO* Kirby's Block Ball 'Frozen Rain' *FT*

Liontamer

Submitted back in March, this definitely FT'ed.

I think this is all you need:

Original Game: Kirby's Block Ball

Remix Name: Frozen Rain

My Name: TO (Obviously)

Thanks mate.

Like I just told Lee, and after hearing it again, I thought there were some muddy parts, mostly percussion, that would have sounded better with sharper mixing (generally liked the reverb though), and I believe from my quick listen that the second half was repetitive and lacked development. I'll do a more thorough look and vote later, but those were my initial thoughts.

EDIT: I heard clicks & pops all throughout the intro (:01, :07, :09, :14, :15, :16). Otherwise though, the intro was well-textured. As soon as the melody and bassline came in at :57 though, the weakness of the production really stuck out. There seems to be an overall lack of sharpness or punch in the sounds. Even with well-thought out ideas, like 2:15 when you had the arpeggiated synth support come in along with more snap on the percussion, the production really prevented things from having any big impact.

As you segued into 2:54, I felt the mix was basically retreading the ideas already presented without enough other things that would have kept the mix fresh, such as an instrument change or further alterations of the source tune arrangement. The layering of the source melody and the countermelody side-by-side at 3:32 was a good idea, but ultimately didn't feel like significant development.

If you're willing to still look at this one, Lee, I'd suggest working to present some new ideas in the last minute for a more varied/satisfying close, as well as sharpening things up with the mixing. I like the ideas here, but the production and last minute need refinement.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't like those synth leads. They just get old fast. Intro had some good ideas, but the sound quality is very gritty. Once things get moving at 1:20, the song improves but it is short lived. After the first chorus, the song simply repeats 3 more times with the same drumloops and very limited changes.

Do your own drums, make things more interesting. Work on rearrangement.

NO

those pads are far too prominent. the lead in the intro is quite grating.

my overall feeling on this mix, is it's a little too...simple. it often relies on a very limited instrumentation, and there isnt enough subtlety to allow such minimalism. It's also quite repetitive with relatively little development. the end comes out of nowhere. the body feels slapped together, the intro and end seem slapped-on.

needs more subtlety in the arrangement. perhaps a B section?

NO

Enjoyed the synth sweeps and the gated/stuttering synth. I actually liked the lead, it has a very classic game sound. I do agree that it gets a bit repetitive towards the end. In addition to what the other judges recommend, I personally felt the song tended to drag on and on. Neat mix, but it could be improved and having heard your previous mixes, I know you're capable of more.

Also the ending just cuts off with the note decaying. Is that just me? But that needs to be fixed.

Not bad, but needs more polishing, new ideas.

NO