*NO* Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion 'Rise of an Emperor'

DragonAvenger

Hey Guys,

My name is Scott Buckley, a composer based in Brisbane Australia. I’m a first-time submitter, but I’ve been a big fan of OCREMIX for quite some time. Keep up the good work!

Submission Details –

Remixer Name: I would probably prefer to be called by my real name – Scott Buckley - but my forum username is musicbyscottb.

Email: scott@scottbuckley.com.au

Web: www.scottbuckley.com.au

Name of game arranged: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks)

Name of Individual Song arranged: Reign of the Septims (Main title theme)

Original Composer: Jeremy Soule, of course.

Name of my arrangement: Rise of an Emperor

Download Link:

Comments: I became a big fan of OCREMIX when I found out Jeremy Soule created a remix for the site a few years back, and in his honour I give you my first OC mix - an arrangement of the Oblivion’s main theme (or Morrowind if you are a purist). It gets big and burly, and features my own theme in the middle; my personal thematic addition to the Elder Scrolls universe. But let it be known; Jeremy Soule owns us all.

Thanks guys – let me know how you get on, or if you have issues pulling down the mp3.

Cheers,

Scott Buckley

www.scottbuckley.com.au

---------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3EOibiVzq4

This is awesome awesome awesome!

Except there isn't enough source. We timestamped it out to be about 1:45 of source out of the 4:22 total time. If you could get some more of the source in there, this would have no problem passing in our books.

0:00-0:17

0:34-1:04

1:22-1:37

2:42-2:58

2:58-3:14

3:15-3:46

Please revisit this! NO (resubmit)

Andrew + Deia

• 3 weeks later...

I think there's some source you guys may have missed, from the similar Morrowind theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWuNf4gxwuM):

1:05-1:16

3:47-4:00

These put this song just under 50% by Deia's counting, but I wasn't able to hear 0:00-0:17 in either source. Are you counting this as a liberal take on the opening of the Oblivion theme? I'm not sure I'd count that... In any case, maybe we should ask for a breakdown from Scott or have someone more familiar with the soundtracks take another listen. There might be more we're missing.

• 3 weeks later...

131 seconds of source usage was needed for 50% source usage and my pass on arrangement.

I heard the theme in play from:

:33-1:05 (:16 of the source)

1:05-1:17 (:56 from Morrowind)

1:21-1:37 (:43 of the source)

2:42-2:57 (horn at :42 of the source)

3:13.5-3:42 (:16 of the source)

3:47-4:00 (:56 from Morrowind)

So I had 116.5 seconds or 44.47% source usage.

As far as the arrangement goes, I thought the opening backing was a bit cliche, that kind of Last of the Mohicans style string writing & rhythms. That said, I personally liked it, I've just that style enough times before.

The melodic usage was conservative, but I thought the writing was personalized well enough, considering that the genre was basically the same. The original writing from 1:37-2:42 was good and fir like a glove with the arranged parts. Very strong use of the samples here for a pretty realistic sound. Overall, a pretty strong product. There just needs to be more "Reign of the Septims" in play so that the focus of the arrangement is primarily on the source material.

Indeed, if there's something else we're missing, let us know, but the responsibility goes to the artist to be very explicit with what material is being arranged, which wasn't the case this time or Morrowind would have been pointed out in the sub letter. That said, I'm essentially going to close this out.

Great work so far, Scott. If you're willing to revisit this, you could add some more Oblivion into the backing parts of the large original section to push the source usage over the top. But either way, this is very well put together music and you know what you're doing, so I hope we hear more from you!

NO (resubmit)