* ReMixer name - Krayne

* real name - Dennis Hsu

* email address - hsu.dennis@gmail.com

* website - http://krayne.org

* userid - 36619

Submission Information

* Name of game(s) arranged - Metal Gear Solid

* Name of individual song(s) arranged - Metal Gear Solid Main Theme

* Comments: I was inspired by my recent trance addiction to make a remix of the MGS theme. I played each part on my Yamaha P200 and created the mix using Logic Pro.

------------------------

holy loud motherfuck. I really need to remember that half of the submissions we get are like 10dB too quiet so when one like this comes around it doesn't scare the shit out of me.

Anyway. I dig this tune. There are sections where it's drifting towards cookie-cutter trance, but there are ample creative additions here and there. Love the guitars. Also, unlike most trance submissions, I'm hearing seventh chords and inversions, so there's some harmonic sophistication to keep my interest.

On the downside, the kick and snare could use more balls. I'm listening on headphones with a buttload of bottom end, and the kick is anemic. I think you might have emphasized the highs more in the snare, give it more snap.

Not enough to reject though.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

The beginning started out pretty generic and mechanically sequenced, but once things kicked in, I was a lot more impressed. I do agree with Jesse that the kick is a bit weak, and overall the drums are pretty dull, but there are a lot of other good things going on in the track, and the leads are really nice. The chords tend to be pretty blocky though, with not a lot of rhythmic interest, and some syncopation in something besides the lead would be nice. The interpretation done to the lead itself was really well done, and treating the rest of the track with that kind of care can only lead to good things.

Production-wise, this thing is crammed so hard into it's pants that it's muffin-topping pretty severely, and is really fatiguing to listen to. I actually had to take a 5 min break between multiple listens to rest. Definitely needs to be toned down.

Overall the main issue is the over compression on the track, but touching up the arrangement backing and kick sound would be nice too. I dig the concept though!

No, please resubmit

Not an easy decision. I think I'm totally cool with the arrangement. It's a little cookie-cutter and repetitive but there's variation, some great guitar leads, solidly written if not that inspiring. The production is a bigger issue, and the overcompression did start to wear. I think that should be looked at before passing off on this, the quality of the instruments really gets degraded, which matters a lot given how the arrangement is so standard. The drums are also really generic sounds, it would have been nice to hear something more sophisticated or a change-up. Throw a reverb trail on the snare or layer it. I also think the leads would benefit from more automation. When you've got so many elements that hold the same patterns section to section, it's nice to have one instrument that does something different.

Close but I think it needs more work. Even just fixing the compression and levels might be good enough.

NO (resubmit)

I agree with the guys that overall the arrangement is pretty standard, but there is some personalization in there, and the arrangement itself is nice to listen to. There just isn't that 'wow' factor that really gets me pumped, but I think it gets close at some points.

The compression is definitely the biggest issue here, and it really should get looked at. Along with that some more work on the drums could add some energy or more interest to this, as Vinnie mentioned.

It's close. NO (please resubmit)

Percussion is the weakpoint here. There's not a lot of energy in there, and you really need some more in terms of build and release. Very static, very repetitive.

Arrangement is straight-forward but I like it! A pretty nice, basic trance sound.

Might wanna ease off on the compression a bit though. Give things more breathing room.

NO, resub please