OCR02187 - *YES* Sonic Adventure 'Peacemaker'

OceansAndrew

halc (13226)

Drew Wheeler

'Peacemaker'

Sonic Adventure

Sources: Theme of TIKAL

Comments:

And now for something.. completely different! This is my first 100% chiptune-free remix. This has been a long time coming, and I feel like I should have more to say about it!.. but nothing really comes to mind. I've been exploring some different styles lately, so expect some more off-the-wall mixes like this in the future~

Hope you all love it!<3

source:

I never thought i'd see this day! :o

Sounds are pretty solid, and even though it's not chip sounds, it's sounding pretty solid, with a lot of good percussive texture and a good arrangement flow. Really nice ending, this is how you do a fadeout, people, as it feels like part of the actual song.

Instrumentation is pretty similar to the source, but feels a lot more organic and also has a clap added, which is something that most songs should have, this one included. I like the bass writing, and overall the vibe gives me a sortof Darkesword feel, which means you are probably doing something right.

Very cool that you are stepping out of your comfort zone and doing a good job. I like it.

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

I am all in favor of people stepping outside their comfort zones, and this was a successful venture for sure. The laidback, jazzy atmosphere is a great match. Very enjoyable.

The only thing that bothered me a little was the stereo delay on some of the elements, particularly with the drums. I kept hearing the left side more than the right. We'll see if the fourth vote thinks this is an issue; if not, I'm happy to drop it.

YES

The intro sounded pretty awkward due to the notes from the plucked instrument. I thought the simple clap pattern didn't fill things out enough and had no synergy with the other instrumentation, so I was glad when it dropped out at 1:00.

The quiet pizz strings at 1:00 sounded slightly behind the beat, but perhaps that's just me. The jerky, exposed string sequencing at 2:28 and 2:38 was painful to hear. The bowed strings during the verses were solid, but the articulations there also could have been refined. Not that the sequencing was terrible overall, but achieving more natural-sounding articulations for your organic instrument samples is something you need to work on. Aside from that, I thought the instrumentations and textures were solid, particularly the multiple cool percussion accents.

Overall, Drew certainly gets the job done with this laid-back, very personalized interpretation. That said, this is a great start, and I hope we hear more from you stepping outside chiptune sounds, just to see where else that takes you.

YES