*NO* Necromancer 'Necromantic'

djpretzel

Hi! Call me Jeff Parkes. I'm new to the whole remixing thing, but here's my first submission to OC ReMix: from a really old game found on the Atari 800 called "Necromancer."

Enjoy!

Jeff Parkes

Boom Chicka Wiggy Wagga

?Le gusta leer?

RRC+ R(39%) P+ TH(A;X;Dr;Hu+;Mu;My;P+;Su) ME>++ I+ CR Cc

d+m++fc+rc-- Ecd+g++m+z-f-- D+ M++ Zm GH+ L Gb(34%) Pcd

MST3K Info Club #101397

Can't snag a source tune for this, but I don't feel it's needed.

The organ coming in at :30 sounds a bit random, which wasn't too much of a problem, but then I heard some questionable-sounding note sequences coming in at 1:07 during your melody. I also felt the shakers were a bit too loud and could have been scaled back a bit. Also, try to learn how to better articulate your organ and slap bass samples to flow more naturally. The belltones aren't bad but don't do much to cohesively enhance the mix, as the pattern for them is pretty awkward-sounding.

There's kind of a different tone at 1:40, but overall not much dynamic contrast or development. Rather, at 2:00, everything became much louder for the last melodic iteration and that was about it. On the arrangement side, this has to be so much more. The ideas here were pretty brief and unexplored. Go for more on the composition end while improving the use of your sounds in tandem.

NO

i have to agree with liontamer on this one. very awkward sounding. the organ does not seem to fit in at all... and i'd initially say it was the mixing but it seems a little more deeply rooted than that - i'm afraid the tone is just out of place. the mood set by the first part with the syncopated piano part and the overlapping bells gives an ominous feel and that is absolutely ravaged by the jazz organ.

the percussion is decent although the shakers do need to be scaled back a bit. i'm not impressed by how uninteresting the whole drive of the track is - it needs to either be edgier or more subdued but not lost in between.

in the track's defense, i like the piano and bell parts, i think they're functional but that organ just drowns everything else out with its displacement.

as for the arrangement, i too had trouble finding the source material but regardless of what that sounds like, this has to go into more places - as it is now, it sort of doils around the same general ideas and doesn't do much with them seeing as how the organ kills whatever mood it was beginning to show. in so many words, its boring.

maybe its only clear to me but as much as you're new to the scene, you're not a newbie to music because there's a defined sense of understanding of what you're doing as there are no glaring shortcomings in that regard. try evening out the soundscape and use the mood you set in the first 30 seconds to drive the piece and elevate it above mediocrity. and can the organ or get a more subdued, grungier organ if possible. i didn't have any qualms with the bass ideas just their execution... better samples, more defined slap perhaps...

i really don't like how the organ gets quiet around 1:50.. i know you're trying to create dynamics but it really doesn't sound like it - sounds more like the volume just got hit

all in all, i'm goin to say this is a NO - it just doesn't have the sound quality or the coherence to be entertaining past one listen (or even halfway through the first). take these advices and the ones larry's given and i hope to hear either a revived version of this or improved future work by you.

I agree with Zyko and Liontamer on this one. The synth bells and piano are the strongest elements of this mix.

My main problem here is the mixing. Volume levels are all over the place. There's lots of clashing in my opinion. For example the shakers all are loud, cover up other elements of the mix. It simply does not work in this context in my opinion. For me the best parts of this mix are when it's simpler, when it's just the bells and piano. My suggestion is go back to the mixing board and rethink which elements should dominate. I think everything needs to be softer and the organ should have more presence during the fuller sections.

Pretty nice otherwise, the execution just drags this one down. NO

At first I didn't really know what the other guys' problems were. Groovy little asymmetric rhythm is the piano to start things off, and while I was iffy on the the organ, I was willing to go along with it.

But, the way that dissonance is used in this mix just seems inexplicable. I'm normally quite tolerant about dissonance, but there needs to be some sort of logic behind how it fits into the piece. As most of the mix is largely consonant, the more strident harmonies that appear periodically seem quite out of place- moreso since the dissonances aren't convincingly resolved but rather handled in a way that's somewhat more characteristic of a serialist or aleatoric piece, despite the fact that most of the mix is clearly not pan-tonal.

NO