*NO* Super Mario 64 'Turtle of Terror'

OceansAndrew

Here is a song that I have been holding on to for a while. I could not send it in, because email was not working on my computer.

But now that it is working, I have the chance to give it to you. This song is a mix between "koopa's theme" and "koopa's road". They

are split half and half in the song, and are easy to recognize when they shift. Since it took a while to send this, I have some other

tunes under my belt. I still really like this one though, and after all, I'm only thirteen!!!

Anyway, the tune is called Turtle of Terror. Enjoy!

--

Hizzle House

-sources

Samples ranged from good to a little thin, but generally they pretty well treated, though the strings have a super slow attack that really doesn't match the rest of the track. The synth work was pretty cool, especially the stuttering bits, and the arrangement was decently solid.

Overall, the melody played it a little safe, and the transitions were solid, but the sections kept a little too much of the same mood. I think a bigger use of dynamics would be good, and some of the breakdown was a little extended.

Overall a pretty decent first sub, a little polish and additional attention to detail, with some further expansion and this would be pretty sweet.

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the intro to this, it had a promising build-up. But the main song didn't do that much to follow through on that lead - it was too sparse and lost the energy. The drums should have been way more hard hitting. Though the lead has some movement it gets dull to listen to on the longer notes. Some delay or distortion might have been nice. The writing here is pretty good, but the devil is in the details. Get those instruments sounding as good as they can, and keep the energy level up.

NO (resubmit)

The opening is pretty cool; I liked the ominous feel, and it really reflected the title. After that the menace seems to lose some edge. Part of it comes from the samples being a little thin, and the overall soundscape being thin as well. The drums need to have a little more power to push things more as well. Overall this needs more power!

While there isn't much to add to what Vinnie and Andrew already pointed out, I would like to offer some encouragement. I know I could not have made anything like this when I was 13. Keep at it, you can definitely improve, and I will look forward to hearing another submission from you!

NO (resubmit)

Cool electronic stuff at the beginning; I dig it.

Nice percussion and stutter effects, but I think you gotta make that lead a little more exciting. Don't just rely on the motion from the phasing effect to get you through those sustained notes.

This loses energy around 2:30; I think you need a little more going on, some more variation. It's playing things very straight with the eighth note statements. Doo-doo-doo-dooooooo. Doo-doo-doo-dooooooo. Doo-doo-doo-dooooooo. Over and over again. Gotta bring the grooviness.

Good start, but needs work.

NO, resub