*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Aria di Mezzo Carattere'

djpretzel

email sub file Aria di Mezzo Carattere.mp3 - djp

Name: Asian Penguin

email: tbt204@lehigh.edu

web: http://www.mperia.com/artists/thomas_b._trycieki)

Song: Aria di Mezzo Carattere

Game: Final Fantasy VI

This is the conclusion to my month long attempt at remixing my favorite song from the Final Fantasy Games. My idea was originally to make a string quintet version of the song. From that I spent weeks writing out the music. After mixing it, it bored me, so I figured I'll just screw around with it, and this is the result.

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ff6.rsn - "Aria de Mezzo Carattere" (ff6-208.spc)

Piano and strings opening this are pretty thin. Electric guitar on melody at :22 is shrill as hell in some places, grating and drowning the song out in others. Percussion coming in at :50 is plodding, muffled, and drags the piece down. Cymbals coming in at 1:15 are shrill as well and the whole song is cluttered by then. The guitar distortion is a stylistic choice, sure, but the distortion's not helping especially after 1:47. Vox coming in at 1:57 sounds alright, but completely obscured. Just a cover the whole way through; not a rearrangement. No concept of sound balance or production whatsoever.

NO

this mix just lacks so much in its production that its depressing. there are a lot of good ideas here and discipline but the presentation detracts a lot from it.

first off, the good. excellent variations on the original although not very much of it, this is where this track shines. i strongly dislike the intro, i think the piano is weak on its own especially since it is not good piano... it cuts off odd and the tone is nothing short of annoying and synthetic. when the guitar comes in, it reminds me too much of several other similarly arranged versions of this track... the ones that come to mind are by chaos and dark apocryhpa... but what this version has that the previous bunch of rock arias didn't is the mind to go further with the source material. from 1:40 on, this gets smart and starts doin its own thing - its tightly performed, its cleverly written and at 2 minutes when the drums pick up again, the overall groove is a pleasant one and the song is good. my problem still is that everything outside of the effort put in here is too close to the original.

now the bad and decidedly why this mix has to be rejected. the tone is awful. its too flat, empty and bright - you almost need to meat out your guitar... don't worry so much about eqing it after the fact, try doing it before you even record. a huge aspect of writing guitar music is the tone you are using coming in and that is where this track lacks the most. the drums have been mentioned before. i've heard worse (i've done worse) but these drums are weak and boring - try to vary it up a bit and the cymbals have to come more naturally into the soundfield... remember that the "drummer" is playing all of these at once so having the cymbals so far off in the soundfield on their own sounds as if you have a unique cymbalist or something which is preposterous for making a rock mix. shrill is an interesting word choice and i don't think i'd call the mix shrill... it sounds muddy to me. and its all in one place throughout the arrangement and dosen't occupy the full soundfield and gives it a very tunnely sound. the choir is a nice touch and i can't knock you for having a bad choir sample... not evrybody has the capability or access to good choral sounds but it serves here mostly as a pad than as a choral part.

all in all, an ambitiously arranged track that sounds very subpar

NO

A couple points

-The drums are predictably loopy. You need to throw in a lot more variation, or at the very least, change the last 8ths or 4ths of the loops.

-wonky ending

-sustained guitar notes maintain their volume during long phrases. I would assume guitars decay over time, or it sounds more natural to me that they would.

-sounds cluttered. Clutter is multiple layers conflicting and/or fighting for dominance. Density is multiple layers working literally in concert with each other. Make it denser, not cluttered.

-I think it needs something beyond the drums, guitar, vocals, and tinny piano. Sounds like a register is missing, mid-to-low. See about adding another instrument, or more likely, reworking an existing track to work more effectively.

NO

Ave Brutalis!

House Julii