Contact info:

Spud Dastardly

Andy Hendrickson

andy4720@aol.com

User ID 36557

Submission information:

Game: Super Mario World

Songs: Castle

I was inspired to write this after hearing Trial by Concert (an ocremix of a piece from Chrono Trigger). I wanted to write an arrangement that had a similar epic feel to it, and I though that this castle theme would be perfect.

Plenty of cool arrangement ideas here, but I felt that frequently the sequencing was a little too robotic, and some of the busier low end parts that had a lot of movement ended up getting muddied by the production and room sound. I also think for all the variations thrown in here, that the number was a bit superfluous, and the remix itself could be edited down to about 2/3 it's current size, using the best variations. There is a good sense of drama throughout, which is a strong point.

So overall good ideas, but too many of them, and some of the variations are making the low end bleed pretty bad.

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of arrangement, I think Andrew is exactly right. Because we are hearing the same source so often, it starts to wear thin. There are quite a lot of variations here, and some work a lot better than others. It would be beneficial to go through and cull out some of the times that don't work as well to let the other variations shine in a shorter time span.

I'm noticing that there isn't much in the way of dynamic variation. I think this could be another reason that the song seems to go on so long, is that sonically you are sticking on the same (relatively) short source, at the same dynamic level. It just kind of tires out the ears after a while, even though the variations and arrangement are good.

I can see this really being a good piano mix, but you need to work on the arrangement to really get it to shine. NO (resubmit)

Plenty of cool arrangement ideas here, but I felt that frequently the sequencing was a little too robotic, and some of the busier low end parts that had a lot of movement ended up getting muddied by the production and room sound. I also think for all the variations thrown in here, that the number was a bit superfluous, and the remix itself could be edited down to about 2/3 it's current size, using the best variations. There is a good sense of drama throughout, which is a strong point.

So overall good ideas, but too many of them, and some of the variations are making the low end bleed pretty bad.

No, please resubmit

Pretty much everything Andrew said. The lower register stuff is getting really muddy with the reverb you've got going, and it all mooshes together. :\ I don't think the brightness of the piano sample you're using helps either. Sequencing is kind of mechanical too. This is supposed to be dramatic solo piano; it shouldn't sound like a saloon player piano going through a roll.

The constant reiteration of the theme begins to wear thin around the 3:50 mark. Need to tighten things up a little I think.

NO, resub