Saria song zelda ocarina of time (90s trance style remix)

Gintokipianist

hey im pretty new here but i saw some great trance mixes here so i was inspired to have a go myself, in my real job im a pro pianist/jazz-rock (and styles inbetween) mixer/masterer but i dont really do trance, for this track i used vsti instrument soft synths (some of which i created) and a couple of custom made effects (i dont have any sort of sound library for trance but i do know how to make most popular trace effects using white/pink noise generators etc (bit lazy to do that today though!) ) anyways i hope you enjoy it, and for this i encourage critisism i never do trance professionally so tips of the genre etc are more than welcome

stats.png

Seems like most of the instruments are of high pitch, which sounds weird. I like the patch you're using for the chords, but most of the rest sound newby. Lead bothers me the most. Not bad for someone new to trance tho. Not that I'd call it trance, specifically, but it's some kind of dance and that's close enough for me.

Alternately panned snare notes? Annoying. Phaser on hihat, good that it's only for a short while. Some descending high-resonance filter/EQ on the bass drum, interesting. Strong bass drum, nice. Seems like there are some clashing notes in there, probably due the the source being in Lydian (I think). The mid range sounds empty with everything spread to highs and lows.

Ending was probably my favorite part. Nice drums, nice synth, jazzy chords, no pitchy whiny lead. :P Even if you were going for something trance-y with this, some jazz-influenced dance might yield better results.

haha yeah the jazz is really my confort zone, and yeah there isnt much in the very low bass, since i noticed alot of trancy mixes have very punchy bass drums, but i agree i should have put something else in there, i mean technically the mix is balanced but psychoacoustically yes it certainly seems theres something missing and yeah, it was a lydian mode tune, so yeah sharp 11s i might just go ahead and try some more jazzy dance, though i do so much jazz mixing its fun to experiment you know lol p.s the "chords" was a typical E.Piano piano sound but with valve saturation and high and low pass filter so your getting the real smooth zone around 500-2khz only which is something you will see alot in non organic jazz mixes.

Not what I'd call trance, but it's definitely a good start :)

First, I'd bring down the highs a little bit on some of your instruments, especially the drums. I think the drums would sound better if you got that bass thud going rather than relying on the high pitches.

That first arp synth that comes in should be replaced with something else, or make it sound less generic.

There was one other synth that sounded generic, but I liked most of the other ones you used.

thanks for your comments, its funny you say that the arp was generic because actually it wasnt an arpeggiator, i played it in manually and quantised it, but i certainly get where you are coming from, i really appreciate all your opinions and i think next time ill post something closer to home for me, im working on a jazz/funk/fusiony remix of kakariko village lol

I really like the beginning, the rhythmic beats with kinda-a-pitch-but-not-really-but-i-can-still-tell-theyre-falling gave me a sense of down the rabbit hole into a world of mystery (lost woods maybe?), although a bit more of atmosphere would have been nice. The arpeggios in the beginning were nice and fullbodied imo, but the mix kinda seems to empty out a little too abruptly for my liking as the melody enters, but then again I haven't listened to much trance, so forgive me if it's a trance-y technique haha.

I actually beg to differ about the high=weird point, it sounds like perfectly natural instrumentation for this source to me actually. Maybe it's just me though. It's not going to be something you blast to make the walls vibrate, but it's something catchy that you hear rather than you feel, so I don't mind the lack of bass throughout the song. It's something more personal though, so it's entirely up to you!

Arrangement wise it may be a little too conservative (?), I'm not very sure, since the melody is pretty much copied wholesale, and no real melodic expansion even though the chords are repeated with the arpeggios and all. It could be longer though! :)