Sir Jordanius

Jordan Etienne

youcanfindsirjordanius@gmail.com or etienne.jordan@yahoo.com

youtube.com/sirjordanius

user id= 38652

Submission Information:

Bob-omb Battlefield Theme from Super Mario 64

Koji Kondo, Nintendo

A while back I bought a Nintendo 64 and borrowed a few games from one of my best friends. I have never beaten SM64 myself, so for the first few weeks of borrowing it I played it heavily trying to get every single star; therefore, this song easily would be stuck in my head during the day. I've always found Koji Kondo's compositions to be very jazzy and entertaining, so I felt as though I simply picked up on the foundation he already laid down. This arrangement is a bit old (it's been on my Youtube account merely to display my animation hobbies) but my cousin intrigued me to start submitting them instead of letting them collect dust on my hard drive. I hope you enjoy!

source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15jdo7aAKlI

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit, I cringed when i first heard that piano. Holy moly, man, the sound on that is....just wow.

Piano aside, I am really liking the arrangement on this. A lot of people have taken this song to the jazzy side of things, but I liked that you did something different here, and definitely took some risks. However, there were a couple of points that weren't super great playing/arrangement-wise (3:55-4:15 is pretty sloppy especially).

Sound choices (aside from the piano) are again different, which makes this more interesting overall. While some of the synths could stand to be more authentic sounding, I think it holds it's ground pretty nicely.

Honestly, I can't get over that piano and those sloppy parts, and unless that's changed, I can't really sign off on this one. I do like the arrangement, though.

NO (resubmit)

I think what she means is that the intonation on the piano is really really off. That piano needs a tune up pretty fiercely. :/

There are parts where the arrangement really clicks, and others where it's a loose mess, which seems a little weird to me, but overall I was really enjoying the ideas presented.

The performances were a bit uneven was well, with some passages that were astoundingly good, only to be followed by some mini-train wrecks, or sections where one instrument got tossed out of the pocket.

Overall the concept is really nice on this, but between the piano tuning and some sloppiness on the performances, I gotta give this one a no. If you aren't looking to touch it up, I will still encourage you to submit some other pieces you have done, as your style is awesome, and perhaps something else might be executed a little tighter. It's not quite up to the OCR bar for me, but it was still a fun listen. :-)

No, please resubmit

I had a lot of fun listening to this, but it's way too sloppy in terms of writing, production, and playing. There's too much going on at times, the instruments sound like they're in different spaces, there are some really uneven instrument cut-outs and cut-ins. I would agree with OA that some parts of this work well, and others just don't. Strangely, I liked the way out-of-tune saloon piano, it seemed authentic, and fitting to this style of kitchen-sink song.

I can buy the bizarre writing as a Mr. Bungle-type composition, but the production and playing aren't cutting it, if that's your aim. I'd say you're better off boiling this down to what works and building off of that.

NO (resubmit)