*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Crono's Rain'

djpretzel

Email sub file Crono's Rain.wma - yes, we'd need an mp3 version, but please judge anyway - djp

Hey guys, well, you can't win 'em all. So, here's another go. It's another Chrono Trigger theme, the main theme. It's done in a R&B/Smooth Jazz/Fuzion style.......I know. It's called "Crono's Rain". I thought being DJ Crono, I should have at least one CT remix on OCR, so, I'm trying to make one that you guys feel's good enough. So, have a listen, and we'll see. Thanks~

~DJ Crono "Jovette Rivera"~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you Yahoo!?

vote.yahoo.com - Register online to vote today!

the best thing about this remix is the cool stereo effectwork that is done. had me wondering where those sounds were coming from on a few occasions.

unfortunately the arrangement and soundquality arent so hot.

first off, the first 2:30 have nothing to do with chrono trigger. this is a significant amount of time. the original groove that takes up the first half of the mix features a buncha bad notes. but aside from that thepiano sample is really bad, as is the organ.

the arrangement, well, there is some cool comping going on, but the mix never picks up steam. the whole thing sounds like chrono on valium. too slow, too lethargic. some of the piano sequencing is really cool, but you need to speed it up, get a better sample, and inject some energy into this thing.

NO

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Chrono Trigger" (ct-1-02a.spc & ct-1-02b.spc)

Everything up until :50 is decent on the rearrangement side, but then things got way too liberal without any tangible reference to the source material until 2:18.

These sounds are trademark ones from Jovette, but for whatever reasons, the sequencing is mechanical & lifeless, and the production is empty & sparse. It sounds like there are practically no effects used here in order to give depth to the instruments and fill up the space.

The production is terrible; it's quiet, dry, and the piano during the first 2 minutes and later around 3 1/2 minutes should have been in the forefront instead of being so muted. Half the time, the sound balance is just plain bad. Dynamic contrast isn't there at all either; just slow and plodding the whole way.

No offense to Jovette, but this was really disappointing. It's like there was no post-production put into this. This was truly the epitome of WIP. Try and get :50-2:18 to not sound so liberal without at least some more overt Crono's Theme referencing. I doubt you'll try to humanize the instrumentation, but seriously beef up these sounds with effects and processing.

I'm a fan of "Dové L'Amore", but you seriously need to learn how to step things up on production or you risk being passed by the proverbial bar. Bring your A-game, please.

NO

Same crappy piano sample featured in DJ Crono's last rejection is featured even more prominently here. Intelligent ideas of arrangement are presented, but the execution falters once again (recurring theme).

Instruments are mixed dryly, loopy percussion is rough, harmonization as a whole is lacking. Zero production. Cheesy and unrelated resolution of an ending. meh

wma ???

NO

this sounds like a casio keyboard or something. i just don't like how everything is right in the middle of the soundfield all the time. the piano parts are boring and dynamicless. when the drums start up, i like the beat but the sound quality is so wrecked that there is little to be excited about.

the strings or whatever pads you got goin for ambience are not full enough to be used. there are some great arrangement ideas in this one but ultimately, they are not helped by the overall quality of this track making this experience sound very amateurish even if you aren't one.

in any case, sorry but production and presentation is so lacking that this is a NO