Original track title: The Lost Muse

Original composers: Martin O'Donnell, Michael Salvatori

Track reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZNVG2dfi8o

Bit of a strange one this. It was one of my favorite tracks from Halo but

is overlooked because it's so short and was never included on the OST. It

occurs at a point in the game where a friend and I would spend hours upon

hours messing around in corridors with grenades, and since the music would

loop continuously it now has a permanently memory-triggering effect, aided

by the wistful nostalgic nature of the music itself.

I tried to retain that nature in the remix, emulating the strange irregular

melody while giving it a shuffling rhythm and a bit more oomph in the

harmony. Hope you like it.

------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZNVG2dfi8o&feature=player_embedded

This one is close to me. I like how you treated this source, and the drumwork is pretty awesome, but there are some problems weighing it down. In terms of arrangement, there's a lot done to the background, but the actual melody stays pretty conservative. I would have liked a little interpretation of the melody to really make this your own. Along with that, the background part, especially the bell-sounding synth starts to get repetititve. More changes around in the soundscape or some altering of those parts after a while would help keep things fresh.

The balance feels off a little, with the backing pads a little loud as well as the drums, and the main melody being a little overpowered. The lead synth also has a pretty slow attack which doesn't sound that great to me. I'd consider changing it for a different synth or improving the attack of it.

Most of this stuff is little nitpicks, but it adds up to me. I think it's pretty close, and I hope you look this over.

NO (please resubmit)

Some of the mixing is a little off to me, with the background elements being hyped a little strongly. The snare sounds awesome, but is a little on the loud side and could stand to come down in volume slightly.

The overall feel and soundscape for this is very strong, though the melody synth used is wear and is getting blown out by the massive backing pads. It also sounds mechanical and in some parts, dissonant. The weird reverse sound works for the original, but for the remix, it doesn't gel with the rest.

Overall very cool, and I agree with Deia's thoughts of updating the second half to have a slightly different feel so it doesn't feel so repetitive. Beyond a few rebalances, this is very nice, but it needs to happen before im giving my vote.

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gotta go with the first two votes on this. This had the same great attention to detail that Nick's previous subs had, and overall the ideas were good, but the repetitiveness of the backing track and the imbalanced mixing are a little much to overlook. The pads really ate up the track, and marginalized the melody in the process. I also think this was a little underdeveloped and could have had more to it. Nick's previously posted mixes were short, but had more progress to them. Sorry, but this one didn't quite get there.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...