Userid: 21177

Game: Shadowrun

System: SNES

Developer: Beam Software

Publisher: Data East

Released: 1993

Theme Covered: Morgue

Original Composer: Marshall Parker

Thoughts: I knew covering this in a typical three-piece rock band style would have been easy, since the original tune lends itself to that, but I wasn't sure it would really stand out. Thus, I went in a completely different direction which was more interesting to work on. The source material may be difficult to access if you're not intimately familiar with the piece, but the main melody shines through quite clearly. Made with Logic.

--

Nebyoolae

-------------------------------

I had to think on this one for a while. I can't say I'm too familiar with this genre of music, so it took a while to get used to some of the sounds. What I'm noticing is that it starts out pretty cool in terms of instruments and the overall soundscape, but once it hits 1:40, things start to get messy and cluttered. There are some neat arrangement ideas, but then there will be times where the drums aren't matching, or the the reverb/delay causes a lot of mud. Overall it needs to be cleaned up a bit. The drums at 2:18 aren't really working together at all. Also, the ending feels pretty weak: it just stops, and then there is about 5 seconds of silence.

I think you've got a pretty neat idea, and nothing I was at all expecting from your submission letter, but it needs to be cleaned up before it's ready. I'd like to see this again after it's fixed!

NO (resubmit)

This is a really good concept for a mix, and great arrangement, but the execution is a little on the weak side. It starts out nice, but as elements are added, it gets more and more cluttered, and once the percussion comes in, it seems incredibly off beat in some parts, especially the kick.

I think tuning up the reverb, sound balance, and cleaning and tightening the percussion would make this a lot stronger. Great beginning though!

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...

Reminded me a little of the New Tetris soundtrack, the modern drum/traditional instrumentation blend was a very cool idea. I have to say the melody sometimes wasn't working in a major key. The A-section phrase always ended badly - it'd be better to change that last note rather than have it sound like it doesn't belong - but I think the entire second phrase of the B-section never really worked that well. There are also some mixing problems that OA and DA noted, and for the most part, the drums and the other instruments sound as if they are in different spaces and should be more integrated. Dunno if I see myself passing this without some major revisions, but I do like the really unique style you've got going, and I'd like to hear more of your stuff.

NO