OCR02623 - *YES* Kirby Super Star 'Spelunking in Space'

DragonAvenger

Part of the Kirby Super Star album. Keep it on hold.

ReMixer: Hylian Lemon

ReMix title: Spelunking in Space

Game: Kirby Super Star

Song: Cocoa Cave (aka Cavios)

This was one of the most enjoyable project tracks I've done. Cocoa

Cave is an incredible source; it can stand on its own, but it's also

pretty open to arrangement. And it's just good. Especially the

bassline. Gotta love that bassline.

---------------------------------------------

Mr. Lemon brings a nice, upbeat track for us to listen to. I'm hearing a lot of your style that is similar from what I heard on the Essence of Lime project. Plenty of source usage here, and I like all the subtle doubling you use between the main synth and the xylophone. The transition at 1:56 was a little odd, and didn't really fit into the arrangement as well as a breakdown should have, but the speed up back into the A tempo was fine. The melodies could have used a little more variation at times, it started to feel a tad repetitious after a while.

Nice use of panning for small effects, and the overall balance is good. Overall I felt like the low end could have had a little more presence, but it's not desperately needed.

Super happy!

YES

(How do you spelunk in space anyways?)

Pretty nice arrangement of the source, and a fun and peppy arrangement; there are a lot of nice details, though I think swapping out the lead a little sooner would have made it sound a little less repetitive (or perhaps some more prominent harmony in the second iteration). There are a lot of quality sections, and it moves at a fast pace, and though the tempo shift wasn't seamless, it was well handled.

The production was pretty good, except in some spots the lead got a little piercing (mainly the really high notes), but otherwise this was fun and exciting. Nice work. :-)

Yes

• 2 months later...

I liked this approach, it was fun. At many times, it didn't sounded too far off from the original, but the new background elements and transitions put a personal spin on it. The only issue I was hearing was a lack of bass elements. I think you cut a few of the instruments a little bit higher than you should have. Pretty minor thing, but maybe we'll ask you if you want to fix this before this goes up, assuming it passes.

YES

• 1 month later...

Where did the title "Kirby Super Star Saga" come from? :D

This is one of my favorite tracks from Super Star and you did a good take on it. Keeping relatively close in terms of tempo and style but doing some clever little alterations of the lead lines and rhythms. Mixing-wise I wouldn't mind hearing some more low-end, it's like there's a high-pass filter on the entire mix, but all elements were crisp and clear. Even though there were many chiptune elements they were mixed up well with the new drums and modern synths.

Overall, good job and a good ReMix.

YES