*NO* SaGa Frontier 'Solitude in the Storm'

djpretzel

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/SaGa_Frontier_psf.rar - 216 "Alone"

Good use of rain effects and reverb to give the track a solemn atmosphere. The melodic line you used at 1:05 is just verbatim with the source tune itself at :28. Though there are areas of originality, the structure ultimately holds too fast to the original.

At least you get some light piano underneath to expand things at 1:57, but in any case, this is structured way too closely to the source. The tempo is identical, so it's potentially/likely ripped. Not a poor cover, mind you, but it's not what we're looking for according to the standards.

Some of the samples, particularly near the end, could sound stronger, along with the piano solo from 2:42 to 3:07 needing to sound a LOT less mechanically sequenced. Work on naturalizing some of the sample use, add more variation in the percussion, bring up the volume levels a bit, and introduce even more original ideas to complement the source tune coverage.

NO

There is no strong key in this song, yet no strong dissonance either, so it just fidgets in a state of discomfort. The melody is not changed, instruments are changed and added for the worse. Sounds like the song is playing from behind a wall; too much dampening reverb. The coolness of the original song is lost, and we're left with a boring, unmoving pile of a cover.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Two main problem points of the mix for me are conservative arrangement, second the production is a bit average. For some reason this reminds me of tracker works from '99/00.

Reverb here is very appropriate for this type of mix, as is the percussion. Percussion in this kind of piece should be understated. More clever things could be done to it as far as effects processing like more reverb, pitch shifting, something similar to what Enigma does, but I can't mark points off as the intent is viable. Being extremely familiar with the source tune and the genre, I actually enjoyed this. I didn't find it boring at all, but I would suggest the mixer expand more on the ideas and make the mix his own beyond the conservative nature of the mix. The ideas are there, but it needs to be expanded on further and more polish in the execution is needed.

Keep practicing. NO