*NO* Super Metroid 'Brinstar Failed'

DragonAvenger

Hello, I would like to submit my remix of Brinstar from Super Metroid which was produced in 2002.

Song links:

Download

Stream on SoundCloud

This is a much darker remix than the other versions on your site, so it should add some variety to the collection.

The entire remix was composed from scratch.

Submission Information

Original Game: Super Metroid/Metroid

Original Song: Brinstar

Description: In reworking this song, it was my idea to do something really creative and unique, but also to preserve Metroid's monotonously dark and atmosphericic roots. There's a bit of bonus nostalgia towards the end of the song for fans of the original NES game ;)

Contact Information

Remixer Name: iosys

Email: hectavex@gmail.com

----------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFKkKDQxEvI

There are some good ideas in here, but overall I am feeling this this is too conservative of a mix. The source melody is used nearly verbatim whenever it appears, and the parts that are added are to far between to really break up that feeling. Near the end is where I started to hear you add your own stuff that would have been awesome to hear at the beginning, therefore I know you have it in you to bring out a better arrangement from this.

The soundscape is a little sparse overall, although for the most part it works for this type of arrangement. Some sections could have used something else going on to fill things up a little bit more, but not all. The sounds overall are a bit generic, and maybe a little underproduced. I liked the overall percussion used, although it could stand to be a little louder, as well as a lot of the lead instruments.

You've got a start here, but there is a ways to go. Start by trying to break up the original more and add more of your own flavor. The WIP forums will be your friend, use their advice to your advantage!

NO (resubmit)

I am really enjoying the atmosphere added to this and the percussion, though the arrangement is very conservative as a whole. There are a few sections that sound original, and that fit well, but the melody itself could be played with a bit more, especially in the second half, which sounds a bit copy-pasted.

Production could use a bit more bass instrument, as that section felt a bit empty, and the length seemed long, maybe because of the repetitive nature.

Overall a very good start, but needs a bit more work.

No, please resubmit

• 1 month later...

Great percussion stuff. Fantastically slick.

Other stuff, not so much. Melodic elements are pretty conservative and mechanical. Gotta play with it a little more, get some more interesting sounds going. Percussion is solid, everything else should be too.

Love the piano bit at the end, but what happened? Need MORE of that kind of thing dude. You start riffing a bit and the song just peters out.

Some great ideas here, but I think you should work more on integrating the source song into it. Right now it's really riding all on the percussion.

NO, resub