*NO* Sonic & Knuckles 'Speed Run'

OceansAndrew

Sup guys!

Here is a mix I've made of Flying Battery Zone from Sonic & Knuckles, I'm calling it Speed Run. It is short like TimeShock but still fun. 2:11 is way more than enough time to get through each zone of flying battery if you know your stuff. Whether you YES or NO this, plz put it on repeat and RAGE through the level just for me.

I jacked a bunch of sfx from the rom to spruce up the mix and add nostalgia. The actual rearrangement is not nearly as hardcore as some, but I've been wanting someone to do a flying battery remix that keeps a lot of the elements of the original song for so long so I just did it myself. I'm pleased with the result. I wanted it angry and mechanical with a thick FM bassline which reminds me of the genny bassline, but I also wanted the spirit of Sonic's speed to come through in a way that makes you feel like you can break through the darkness in your own life. Essentially what I'm saying is I wanted to make a mix that people would listen to and become enlightened on the spot. Totally kidding, hope you like it.

the sub stuff:

Siamey

Heath Morris

heathgmorris@gmail.com

www.heathmorrismusic.com

Thanks everyone,

Heath

• 1 month later...

This is way rocking, but the arrangement is actually sounding pretty conservative to me. The production is very solid, and I love the expansion on the sounds of the original, it definitely feels true to the source. The question is how much arrangement was done. There is a lot of structural changes, and some additional parts and drop outs, and I think the main reason it feels so conservative is the fact that a lot of the sounds just sound like sound upgrades to the original, which in itself is a pretty impressive feat.

I do think a more expansive melodic take on the source would make this a stronger pass,where you either add a bridge section, or take the melody to some new places.

The sfx from the game are classy and not overused, and it seems like there is something about sonic sfx that really appeals to remixers, because i hear them pretty often. The track in itself is really good, but i'll be real with you and say that the ending straight up sucks and should be redone. The track was really moving until the end, and it just stops. I know you are better than that, dude, you have legit skillz, you gotta use em!

It's really close, and no hate on the track, because i think it's sick, but I think for the good of the song, I gotta say

No, please resubmit

There is honestly little I can say that is different from what Andrew said: The production on this is solid, and the sound effects are really classily used. Overall the arrangement sounds pretty good, but unfortunately it just feels too close to the source for too much. Expand on the parts a little more, please! The ending, I also agree on, I'd really like to see that changed up.

Please please resubmit this! NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Toughie. I thought it was a pass on first listen and I was ready to get up in Andrew and Deia's faces, but they're totally right about how conservative this is when I relistened to the source. The problem is how similar the instrumentation is; a lot of similar sounds are used with only a handful of changes on those instruments, none of them drastic (well, except those super-held bass notes). Even when you take a section like the opening bassline, which I think you wrote, it sounds like it came from the original because of the instrument used and the note pattern. The song comes across more like a variation of the original track rather than an arrangement, though you're close to that border because there is some original writing with the drums and the new backing instruments which chime in from time to time. Some section where you totally gut the bassline or lead and write something new would have gone a long way here. This would likely pass with some more separation from the source.

NO (resubmit)