Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Chili Con Carnage

Anyone else played this masterpiece of a game? Sure, the graphics weren't too hot, but it has one of the best stories I've ever had the pleasure of playing through. I've done runthroughs as a very nice, heroic technologist specializing in bombs and automatons, an amoral pyromancer/force mage, and a standoffish hunter/herbalist. I'm currently in the process of my first full-blown evil playthrough and I'm finding myself constantly amazed by how the devs thought of everything, as I discovered when in a fit of ill temper, my half-orc necromancer killed a plot-crucial character. Oh crap, thought I, now I have to reload and I haven't saved in an hour. Uh... oh, hey... I have a Speak With Dead spell. Let's try... holy crap, it worked!

Anyone else have fond memories of Arcanum?

It's sad its the only actually good steam punk game. Other games try to call them selves steam punk... but its clearly not, or they tried and failed.

Steam punk on the other hand, made me feel really submerged. The only thing I don't like, and it comes with the isometric view, I felt slightly restrictive, yet.... still submerged.

Admittedly ... I haven't beaten it ><, between like YouTube and my Fallout: New Vegas mod's I don't play many other games except for the one's I LP for YT. Also I was playing this game until last year.

I did have a fond memory of messing around with the difficulty setting, see how far I could push an area and my characters limit's. It got to a certain point that if 1 or even 2 of my party members died, i'd be screwed. It was one of the earlier games I found to throw you in to a world where you could walk around and do what you want, when you want, progress at your own pace, but they did it well. There were some area's that were clear or unclear if you needed to level a bit more or not, for the majority of the time, it was a decent balance.

I did get about half-ish through the game, and ended up losing my saves because of installing a new OS, but I re-installed it, played a new character, and even for an earlier game, I felt a majority of things were new to me, I found different path's, different options that I honestly didn't think they woulda thought of.

I'm currently in the process of my first full-blown evil playthrough and I'm finding myself constantly amazed by how the devs thought of everything, as I discovered when in a fit of ill temper, my half-orc necromancer killed a plot-crucial character.

There's actually a semi-hidden (at least for anyone who plays through this game "normally") Really Bad ending for someone who plays a psychopath out to kill everyone.

That, incidentally, was my first playthrough and I haven't picked up the game since.

There's actually a semi-hidden (at least for anyone who plays through this game "normally") Really Bad ending for someone who plays a psychopath out to kill everyone.

That, incidentally, was my first playthrough and I haven't picked up the game since.

I have yet to discover that one. This playthrough, I'm aiming for joining the Big Bad.