Distant Worlds - for Oboe and Clarinet

Hipnotyk

Distant Worlds is by far my favorite ballad from Nobuo Uematsu's huge body of work, and it kind of got lost in the shuffle being a song from the MMO FFXI which a lot of gamers just don't mess with. The orchestral rendition and the Black Mages remix are both outstanding, to anyone who hasn't heard these I strongly recommend a trip over to YouTube to hear what a powerful song this is on a larger scale.

I put this together last night to play with my friend in the Navy who's a great oboist. Before long I will have a live recording of this arrangement, If you've got a few minutes to spare check this out and tell me what you think. Lots more to come in the future.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hipnotyk-Music/113610178708782

(most recent wall post)

Thanks!

MH

Fun little piece, although I can't tell what the source is. I'd be careful posting your music on Facebook, though - their policy gives them non-exclusive rights to whatever you post there. It doesn't affect us, but I'm just sayin'.

For an oboe duet (and any duet, really) you must be careful with the counterpoint. I'm hearing a couple of forbidden motions in there, which stand out like a sore thumb. Be sure to fix the Parallel 5ths, especially - the music sounds like you're classically trained, so I think you know what I'm talkin' about.

The midi makes the melodic line(s) ambiguous. Be sure to disambiguate the themes when you have the parts performed.

Otherwise, it's quite nice. You don't hear too many duets on here, so it's a welcome remix on these boards, imo.

Thank you for your input. I'm not too concerned about putting stuff like this on FB, any original stuff I may want to publish won't be going up there.

This weekend I'll be going through it more meticulously to fix the parallels, I know where one of them is... I basically took the piano score and tried to create counterpoint based on what was going on in the bass line. The hard part is figuring out what to do on 7th chords when you only have two instruments in the mix, suppose I could arpeggiate the counterpoint some more.

I'll likely be posting various arrangements like this for any music students/teachers out there who want to mix it up and not play the typical everyday repertoire.

Thanks again. The song is from Final Fantasy XI btw. I should have properly specified that earlier.